Step-parent adoption

Any idea what I can do to adopt my SDs? BM is in the picture, but only visits once in awhile, doesn't pay CS and has no stable living environment or job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Adoption

• Well, as long as she's willing to give up her parental rights the adoption should be easy. You'd just have to petition the courts. I got the paper work I used for my hubby to adopt my daughter fron the law library, typed them up myself and filed them at the courts myself. It saves $600 on a lawyer. If you have any questions ask your local social services office, thats where I got my answers. They have a lady there who deals with adoptions.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 10:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The sad thing is , she has to be willing to give up her parental rights, how old is the child>????? that may play a major role, in some states , if a child is 12 or older , they can actually ask the judge to make the absent parent sign rights over so they CAN have a "real " parent take full responsibilty and all the above.....
    mosaickathy

Answer by mosaickathy at 11:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well, the only way she wouldn't have to give up rights are like if her rights were taken away. If you could get her on abandoment (which is her not seeing her daughter for like 6 months to a year depends on the state you live in), or if you could prove to the courts its out of the best interest of the child.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 9:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• no i don't know how that would work because the bm has to sign over rights for that to happen im in exactly the same boat my stepkids have asorry ass momma
    crystal292

Answer by crystal292 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Could you push the child support issue to sort of motivate her to relinquish her rights? States have varrying statutes as to how a step parent can adopt and when. Check out your states rules and go from there.
    MrsDavid

Answer by MrsDavid at 10:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I WAS ADOPTED BY MY STEPDAD, MY BF WAS NEVER IN THE PIC FOR VERY LONG. IN & OUT AS HE PLEASED IN & OUT OF JAIL. HE NEVER PAID CS OR HELPED WITH MY MED COSTS. MY BF WOULDNT GIVE UP HIS RIGHTS (JERK) BUT MY PARENTS FOUGHT IT & THEY WON. I LOVE MY DAD HE MAYNOT BE MY BF BUT HE IS MY DAD & WILL ALWAYS BE MY ONLY DADDY! MY 2 KIDS ONLY KNOW HIM AS THEIR PAPA & ANY1 ELSE WOULD JUST BE A STRANGER TO THEM! I WAS 2 WHEN MY PARENTS GOT TOGETHER, 7 WHEN THEY WERE MARRIED & I HAVE 3 SIBLINGS FROM THEM, AND WE ARE SUPER CLOSE WE ARE SIBS NOT 1/2 SIBS! I SAY ADOPT HER, IF HER SITUATION IS AS YOU SAY EVERY1 DESERVES 2 LOVING PARENTS WHO ARE ALWAYS THERE!! IF YOU WANT MORE INSIGHT OF A STEPH CHILD JUST MESSAGE ME!
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 4:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would definitely talk to a lawyer about it.  I am in a similar situation and once we get married in February I am going to try to adopt my SD.  I know her mother won't sign her rights off just to be an inconvenience to us.  It is such a shame that these "women" can do this to a child.  If you are the one who takes care of the child you are their mother no matter what that piece of paper says.

DROCKSGIRL517

Answer by DROCKSGIRL517 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2008