Ideas for clearing a congested baby - 10 months old? (Nasal congestion - very tough case!)

He's been to the doctor and does not have a cold. His nasal congestion is so bad, and so CONSTANT, though, that it's really affecting his life and my life. He can't sleep well AT ALL with this nasal congestion. He was sleeping 9 hours at night, now he sleeps only a few, and is awake for a few. then sleeps one or two more. And with my being a single mom, this is REALLY wearing me down. Not to mention him -- he's not rested in the mornings. Naps are shorter now, and he doesn't sleep soundly. I know it's going to affect his health.

Doctor says they don't recommend any medications for babies this age (10 months old.) Here is the list of everything I'm doing for him already:

- Nasal mist (saline spray)
- Nosefreda (the "snot sucker")
- Aspirator bulb
- Vicks chest rub for babies
- Humidifier
- Mattress elevated on one end

My main issue is his sleeping over night, which he is no longer doing, due to this constant and severe nasal congestion. I'm thinking of perhaps seeing an allergist -- maybe he has allergies and there are some medications for that, even at his age?

It's hard to explain how much this is severely damaging quality of life for both of us, just from chronic nasal congestion! Any suggestions??

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try an allergist but my dd said her son's allergist wouldn't see him until after his third birthday. You can call and ask though. Are you using the vick's on his chest or under his nostrils so he can breathe the fumes? Are you using a cold mist humidifier? I see humidifier but you didn't mention which one. (hot or cold) Have you tried the steam from hot shower? When my children were congested I slept in a recliner with them on my my chest.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• how do you use the vicks? for some reason it helps when you put it on babys feet and put socks over it. We have a cool mist humidifier which also helps with congestion. My son has a slight sinus infection now (he's 17 months) but we've had a chronic issue with congestion. The dr said we could use allergy meds at his 12 month appointment once spring hits they will prescribe something since thats also when his asthma actus up. What type of heater do you have?
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My little guy's the same way, although not quite as bad as yours sounds. The only thing I can think of that you haven't tried is to turn on the hot water in the shower and let it get really steamy and sit in the bathroom with him. I don't think any doctor will prescribe any sort of medication until he's a year old. My baby's doc put him on Zyrtec which helped a great deal. Oh, also...make sure you keep your house as dust-free as possible, and if you have pets, make sure you vacuum every day. An air purifier may be a good idea. Good luck hun.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• sorry I can't help you're already doing everything that I would recomend =(
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The Doc's have told u already I would hav suggested & they r very skeptical about giving meds to kids that young & usually wont.. My only other suggestion would b to find u a good health food store where the ppl r very knowledgeable & get som natural remedies for him.. they may even hav som good books u can buy that hav plenty of info
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 11:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My sons see an allergist but they are older. I have a 2 yr old that has nasal issues but the allergist won't see her until she gets older. He says that kids that little don't really develop allergies. Lol, hmmm interesting.. then why did her primary start her on zyrtec when she was 18 months? It has helped a lot! Do you have any pets? Does anyone smoke in the home? Getting an air purifier might help too. A pediatric nurse I worked with suggested I give her 2 cc/ml of benadryl at night..it dried her up and helped her sleep more peacefully. I am not suggesting that you give that to your baby..but that is something I tried. Good luck! Hopefully he will clear up and sleep better soon!
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Vikes has a nightlight thing that you insert a pad with Vicks on it, so you inhale it while you sleep. Ok, I didn't explain it very well! We got ours from walgreens. That thing is amazing!! I can defiantly tell when we use it, and when we don't.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Vicks* (dumb spell check)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thanks guys. I have a cold-mist humidifier. A friend has suggested a hot steam one, to put the vicks in, but the pharmacist said a cool mist one was better. What do you think?

I'm checking into the vicks nightlight thing that one of you suggested too. If you have any other suggestions, keep them coming! Thanks!
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Cool mist is better. Its also safer. The reason I asked about heat is because gas heat always stuffs me up and maybe you could lower your heat a few degrees at night? thats the only other thing I can think of.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 1:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011