Is Freecycle safer than Craigslist?

I haven't had any experience with Freecycle, and the experience I have had with Craigslist hasn't made me too keen to use it again.

What have your experiences been between these two sites?

hippomom1919

Asked by hippomom1919 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have used freecycle many times, both giving and getting. The benefit of freecycle over Craigslist is that no money is exchanging hands and there is really no need to even meet face to face. In every single transaction I have ever made over freecycle the item I was giving was left outside in a designated spot and the item I was picking up was left in a designated spot. You just pick up your item and go.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• you can't really say one is safer then the other since both deal with the internet, and anyone can lie at any point on the internet. I've only dealt with craigslist but i've never had issues. When I sold something I met the person at a local Mcdonalds so they wouldn't be coming to my house since i was home alone, and when I've gone to pick stuff up I've taken someone with me. I would imagine both sites are as safe as you make them with precautions.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I have had great luck getting rid of things on freecycle. The biggest difference is you can sell things on craiglist but freecycle is only for free transactions.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 12:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• why no, sandy? Anything behind it?
    hippomom1919

Comment by hippomom1919 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I've dealt with both and haven't had bad experiences.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My spouse's business is from Craigslist and referrals; he has never had a bad experience.

I love freecycle and reuseitnetwork because someone comes and takes away your unwanted stuff

Answer by rkoloms at 4:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011