Depression and Irritation..

So my 9 month almost 10 month old daughter has learn how to throw tantrums. She screams as loud as she can for as long as she can until she gets her way. When she does this I get so stressed out and irritated. When that happens I get irritated at everything. Even my husband who is at work and didnt even do anything. I start getting depressed and start feeling pretty aweful. I just dont know what to do. I dont know how to deal with her when she does this and there is nothing wrong. I dont want to let her scream like that but sometimes I cant handle it and have to walk out of the room. It doesnt do much since she wont stop screaming and I dont like hearing her cry but im just out of ideas. I try taking her on walks but it seems as soon as we get back she throws more tantrums. She has never done this before and has been doing it for about 1-2 weeks now. I dont know if this is just something babies go through, but I need advice on how to deal with it and not get in those states where I become so unhappy with myself and everything.

NatiesMommy

Asked by NatiesMommy at 12:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Walking away is the best thing you can do. Ignore her trantrums. Go into a closet and take deep breaths... When she figures out you're ignoring her, shell stop. It may take some time though. In the meantime see if you can talk to someone about it, trusted friend/family member/clergy whatever
    ToraMay

Answer by ToraMay at 12:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• @Toramay- Thank you. I try to walk away because I know if I stand there it is going to make my mood worse, but I just wish I knew how to control them. We just started the walk away method and she started throwing her stuff out of her crib and stroller so we stopped giving picking them up or wont give them back to her for a while. I really hope it helps though because im at the point where im just out of things to do. She is the most sweetest things sometimes, but when she gets like this. I dont even want to look.
    NatiesMommy

Comment by NatiesMommy (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Ditto....walk away!
    Remember to take care of YOU!!!!
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• @bigmomm4-Thanks. What do I do when I walk back in and she is still throwing a tantrum :( i'm stuck on that part.
    NatiesMommy

Comment by NatiesMommy (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You might try to distract her (with a toy or book or something she likes and takes interest in) after you have taken a break and calmed down or just try to ignore it until she realizes it's not going to get her what she wants. I know it's hard to hear them cry but if you know she is ok and not hurt, take the time you need for yourself. Try not to give in to what she is crying for.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Next time she starts with a tantrum, make sure she is in a safe place (in the crib, or play pen) and walk away. Turn on the radio and start singing to the top of your lungs! She will eventually stop or get distracted by the music. Make sure though that you play it LOUD! lol! Thats what I did with my oldest when he started the tantrums (he was about 16mths old though). OR when she starts her tantrums, get the vacuum out and start cleaning, the noise will distract her maybe even sooth her and you get a little cleaning done at the same time. I hope it gets better for you. Message me if you need to talk, I have 3 boys, I understand tantrums...LOL!
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 8:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2011