Does your toddler find it funny to run away from you?

I have a feeling the answers will be yes - however, i am finding that this "game" is getting old really fast and dangerous. She runs away from me at the beach, in parking lots, playgrounds.. any second i let go of that hand she runs away from me and if i say anything like her name or come back or you're in trouble she laughs and runs faster... what can i do? (note: she is 2 but will be 3 in 2 months and thats why i am putting it in the 3-4 section)

USNavyWife0330

Asked by USNavyWife0330 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Still having issues with mine on that. His is usually with changing clothes though. A time out box might be something you can try. When out and about...put her in an area if she runs away. Explain the dangers and see if it'll soak in. Otherwise, I really don't know. G'luck.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• been 30 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old gets to be too much at times specially when he plays the run away game at stores malls or any public places . I resolved this issue by having him on a monkey leash . I just had to because I can't chase after him. I got him a monkey backpack that looks really cute on him and has a long tail . It looks like a backpack . Too harsh? well. some people do stare but I don't care I rather have my son safe than him gone missing. That is my story.
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 12:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• When my youngest child was that way, (I think it was eight years ago0, I was at a doctors's office for my oldest being seen.They had no room for sitting so I told my daughter who was 14 at the time that I was going to take my son to the car and to let me know when they call her name. Just as soon as I walk out the door with him, he started running, I went after him. I'm not sure what happened in the meantime except for the fact that I fell and landed on his legs. I was more concerned with him than myself. Until I realized that I broke my foot in the process. Good thing I was at a doctor's office. My daughter said that a girl came running in the office and and said. " A woman just fell on her child!" I was horrified when she told me how she said it. Anyway, you've got to get this under control. If she runs into a street, that won't be good. Put her in time out wherever you are. Tell her why.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yes my daughter does that all the time she thinks it funny when i chase after her sometimes i let her run if its somewhere safe cus thats a great work out for me lol but i wont let her do it in the parking lots or somewhere dangerous she is gonna be 2 in april and im already having trouble with that i dont think theres nothing you can really do but put her in timeout .Good Luck .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i have seriously thought about the leash... it really makes me feel like a horrible parent because i have no excuse... i am not preg. just fat.. hahahaha working on that though!
    USNavyWife0330

Comment by USNavyWife0330 (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• (cont.) Be sure that she knows how important it is to stay with you. And, if she does it again, she will go in timeout again. Good Luck!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• When my son pulled that game he got his butt smacked. We don't spank, he's been spanked twice in his 5 years. Once because he thought it was funny to run away in a parking lot, and once because he was reaching for the hot stove after being told more then once it was hot. When he ran into a parking lot I grabbed and smacked his bottom right there. I VERY sternly informed him he would be hit by a car and he would go to the hospital and he would go to heaven if he did that again, it was in no way funny, and it was NEVER to occur again. He was 2 and he got the message loud and clear, he never ran again. I don't care who was staring at me that day I was not going to chase my 2 year old around a parking lot, he was going to understand in no uncertain terms right there this was NOT ok. You don't have to spank, but your daughter needs to understand the danger involved with what she's doing.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Ohhhh I just watched this on the Super Nanny website!  She has great tips for stuff like this and it really seems to work!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yes. When they do it here at the house i don't really mind & i usually play along but if they do it when we are out to the store & such then i have a real problem with it. They have pretty much learned it is not ok to do this while we are out but there was a time when my oldest did this all the time & it got to the point where i had lost her in the store...literally 5 seconds later she was just gone. I found her eventually & i usually don't spank but this time it was serious & i knew nothing else i was doing was working so i got down to her level & told her what she did was wrong & not to do it again then popped her butt. From that day on she never did it again. Now i know not everyone is for spanking i am just telling you what worked for me. Hope you figure something out that works for you good luck.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 2:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I know my little one thinks it funny. She tends to do it all the time. Anymore, I make sure I have someone else with me, that way I can make sure someone can get her hand, or carry for me when I'm trying to gather other stuff in the car.
    dokume

Answer by dokume at 11:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2011