How do I get my 6 year old into his own bed???

My 6 y/o will only sleep with me. He spent 2 months with his father and since he has been home he is terrified to sleep alone. His father will not speak with me since we are in a custody dispute so I only know what occurred on his father's watch by what he discloses to me. My son is in play therapy due to his father's inability to co-parent. So my 6 year old has been through a lot...do I continue to allow him to sleep with me or should I transition him into his room??????

BigMomm4

Asked by BigMomm4 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yikes. I think this is a question best left for the therapist.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thank you!!!! You are soooooo right!
    Sometimes it does take another brain to look at a problem.
    Thanks again!!!!
    BigMomm4

Comment by BigMomm4 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• you're welcome! I am guessing there will be a slow and transition process. I am gonna wager step 1 might be him in a cozy sleeping bag on the floor in your room. It's what my 1st instinct to suggest was, but I'd never want to unintentionally suggest something WRONG, for a little guy who really needs things to go right for him .. good luck
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree with the therapist. Sounds like it was quiet traumatic for him. Give him an extra hug from us here.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would go about it slowly.
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my question to you is did he always sleep in his own bed befor the split? and if so did he continue to do so untill his stay with his dad?
    If it just started after his stay with dad then i would bring it up to his therapist and maybe they can work with him on it and the answers will come out.
    Mommabearofone

Answer by Mommabearofone at 10:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My son had some problemsconverting to him own bed. His dad and I dont live together so I made a special effort to make him feel safe and secure.
    With some help from my husband and son we made a fort around his bed. I, of course had to tell him that the fort stores love and happiness inside so when he is sleeping he always has extra mom love surrounding him. AND the fort is a force field.
    We were lucky because he sleeps in a bunk bed on the bottom so a few blankets and a sheet later the fort was made. With a single bed I would suggest buying some harware and attaching the blankets and sheets to the walls or celing. Even strong tacks would work.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 9:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011