was it wrong of me to ask for a second opinion...

my son was in the e.r wednesday night because we thought he might have pyloric stenosis. so they had us go to our dr thursday to see what they say. our dr sent us to get an ultra sound and an upper g.i. done. well not even 20 mins after the upper g.i. was done we recieved a call saying he did and to go to Vandy Childrens hospital to double check and have surgery..

the docs down in nashville sayin he doesnt have pyloric stenosis...he has reflux...when they did the ultra sound they didnt have weston drink anything...and when the doc came in he starting talkin bout the esphagus to the stomach...but if u look up pyloric stenosis...its not from the esphagus to the stomach...its the stomach to the small intestine.....and i told them the the docs. in bowling green were talkin bout the stomach to the small intestine...but the docs in nashville said that the doc up in bowling green where wrong and they dont know what they are lookin for...so as of now me and ash...we dont believe anything any of the doc. in nashville say....so as of right now weston has all the signs of having plyoric stenosis...but he has gain 7 oz in the last week...well today we went back to the drs where we live and they called up to Lousiville and the general surgeon up there says he baisically starting to get it. we are on the border line of it.

but we are getting judged because my dh and i both had an instinct that what vandy told us wasnt right..

aboocher09

Asked by aboocher09 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my opinion, it's NEVER wrong to seek a second, third, fourth, and so on opinion.  That's your right and it's great to take charge of your own health instead of listening to ONE Dr.s opinion.  I think it was especially great in your case since they can't seem to figure out, or agree on what is wrong with your child. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• They are talking about cutting into your baby! I most def would seek a second opinion especially if they are giving conflicting information.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 1:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• until you know for sure keep getting it checked out.. with docs who know talking what they are talking about.
    tlcpetsitter360

Answer by tlcpetsitter360 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• No, it's NOT wrong to ask for a second or even third opinion. If you feel uncomfortable with a diagnosis or treatment plan, ALWAYS seek out another opinion. And if these doctors are so sure, then they wouldn't have a problem seriously explaining why they think that's what it is, how they think surgery will help, and why their diagnosis doesn't match up with what you know.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You have every right to get a second opinion and I will tell you doctors don't always agree. I have a friend who went to one dr and was told something, then got a second opinion, which was the exact opposite of the first opinion. They ended up getting a 3rd opinion and seeing which ones matched.

It is never easy, althoug he is your child and you know him best so go with your gut and get another opinion.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• get as many other opinions as you feel comfortable with!! This is a human life were talking about! If your worried things arent sounding right then go to as many other professionals as it takes until you UNDERSTAND whats going on and figure out what the best thing to do is. Goodluck!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• No you are not wrong, when in doubt check it out. The second opinion might save your child from surgery he may not need.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Definitely not

Answer by rkoloms at 3:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my family think i want something wrong with my son. and it hurts that they think that.
    aboocher09

Comment by aboocher09 (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2011