In your opinion/ past experience..

What kind of car would you recommend? We're wanting to buy a cheap used car. Preferable 4 door, & cheap on gas. We we're thinking about a sunfire, dodge neon, or ford focus. Something like those. Our budget is around 5,000

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Shopping

• I've always driven Fords and have always had good luck. The Focus is a nice little car.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I really like the Focus. I never owned one, but I had a rental for a few days and I don't think I've ever been behind the wheel of a car that was such a smooth drive! Like effortless. I was sad when we had to turn it back in lol. Everything Crysler(Dodge) makes is total crap imo with the exception of the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee and I've had experience with a lot of their vehicles. I think the quality of Volkswagens with their German engineering is always a safe bet. A Jetta costs about the same as a Focus :-)
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We have a 2007 Mercury Sable which is similar to the Focus.It is pretty dependable and has good mileage. We paid around $5000 for it w/under 60k miles.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 5:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• For $5000 I personally would buy a Nissan Maxima or a Nissa Altima.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Do not get a neon thats what i am trying to trade in right now and i could give u a list of problems that it has. its only got 90,000 miles on it and the transmision is going.
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Taurus or Sable

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• @logansmom6106
    My husband wants to get a neon! Everyone tells us theyre bad cars, but thats what he wants lol. I told him we should avoid it. Im gonna show him youre comment haha.
    Jessica1991

Comment by Jessica1991 (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• fords all the way
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• The Neon is crappy...don't go for one. I am trying to get rid of my '03. It has been the car from Hell!! I've been the only owner and my transmission went kaput at 70,000 (thank goodness for the warranty I had). Now, it starts after I've hung on the ignition for a few seconds. My cruise control no longer works, the interior plastic rattles so bad from being so cheap. Ugh, I feel that I can't explain it any more than that I simply hate it. As far as small cars go, get a Mitsubishi Lancer. My hubby drives one, and it is a good reliable car! A bit small for a family of 4, but the newer ones are much roomier.
    randita99

Answer by randita99 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011