GED vs Diploma

I quit high school after I had my son, (which I didn't want to, & I regret it) but my son starts pre-school this summer & I've been thinking about what I'm going to do, career wise, for the rest of my life. I don't have my GED yet, but I'm planning on getting it soon. Within the next couple months, I'm going to start classes. Anyways, A lot of people tell me now days having your GED is the same as a diploma. But I don't think I would have as many options. So, I thought I'd ask other opinions. & what are my options with career choices with a GED?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in

• Some employers will want to know why you got your GED rather than your diploma, but for purposes of qualifications, they are the same. If you want to go to college, it actually may work to your advantage in applications because you will have a story to tell in your essays-- stories about the barriers you faced preventing you from graduating from high school, the fact that you came back and accomplished your goal of obtaining the equivalent, and now you're endeavoring to achieve more.

good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think you go get your high school diploma it looks better for career choices and also when u tell your child having a diploma can get to your future. i graduated preg but wouldn't change it. i almost dropped out like u did glad i didnt because it would of been harder getting into college and not having to take as much classes. for example i dont have 2 do bio n college because i did a college credit in high school..i hope i could help u!!
    Ninisopretty120

Answer by Ninisopretty120 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I've noticed at work that apps that come in with diplomas tend to be looked at first but I find the apps that get hired after getting their GED tend to stay longer. It shows they've finally taken their lives more seriously and want to do better for themselves. If it were me doing the hiring I would NEVER overlook someone who took the iniative (spelling) to get their GED. Good job and keep up the good work!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would go to local community college and enroll on high school completition program u get to add high aschool classes you already took and actually earn college credits. Most states. Waive fees for students who are in the high school completion program.
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 2:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would get my hs diploma and go right on to college. These days you can't do much without a college education and depending what field you go into and region you're in, sometimes a college degree doesn't guarantee you anything either in the job hunt. Bottom line is, you can never overdo it in getting a higher education.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Once you have your college degree, it won't matter if you have a GED or a diploma

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't think it matters, most places of employment are looking for college degrees these days.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My daughter is doing the GED. She pick up a book at the book store. It help you get ready for the GED test. Good luck.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2011