Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disability question

My friend is having surgery on her back to remove a tumor. She is a stay at home mom and has never held down a job. Her husband thinks she should file for short term disability because he will have to take off work to take care of her for the 6 months she will be out of commission. So will they let her have it or will her husband just have to go to work and leave her there to take care of their children? She HAS to have the surgery so it isn't something that they can't wait to do, and no one in their families will help.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • In the State of Oregon the employee files for family medical leave and then files for assistance because he has to help her. She can't file if she's a SAHM.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • If she has a short term disability policy, then absolutely she should file one. However, I would be surprised that she found a personal policy. If you're talking about HIM taking short term disability, I do not believe you can do that. Short term disability policies are usually only to cover medical situations arising from the policy holder-- not to take care of someone else.

    He can take FMLA leave if his employer and he qualifies, or the state might have additional benefits that he can take advantage of.

    This is the terrible thing about our present health care system. We want children raised in the best possible way, but we have no infrastructure to support such an endeavor. We have women staying home to raise their children, but no safety net should something happen to them!

    I hope your friend has a speedy, and uneventful recovery. I wish her the best!

    Answer by Busimommi at 2:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011