My Husband Seems to Favor the Baby

I have 2 kids with my husband Juan. For some reason he doesn't seem to like the 7 year old. He denies it of course but then he dotes on the 1 and half year old. It's not just because he's the baby either, he's always been stand offish, almost kind of "mean" at times. He says that is how is father was with him and he loved his dad and his dad loved him so he doesn't see the problem but Ian feels like his papi loves his little brother more. Any suggestions.

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 2:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• There have been times since my hub and I started having kids that one of us would favor one child over the other.  Neither one of us would realize we were doing it and once the other pointed it out, it was fixed immediately.  Some parents don't want to take responsibility for what they are doing and make up excuses.  That's what it sounds to me like he is doing.  I would have a serious sit down conversation with him and tell him that it's not okay.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It needs to be addressed asap to dh especially since ds already feels like the lesser child. It could turn your older child into resenting the younger one.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:31 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Honestly, family counseling if you can swing that. You're husband clearly doesn't see the issue and he really needs to. I can see that being very detrimental to the older child long-term. He was standoffish and mean when the older child was a baby and also now, but behaves totally differently with the younger child? What was his birth order, by the way?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• He is the second of 6 children, and ironicaly he complains that his mother favored the "baby"
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 3:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2011