Daughters and bras! Need your opinions!

Okay so I read a post earlier that made me want to ask this question.  My oldest daughter is 3.  When she gets cold, her nipples show through her shirts.  It was just kind of common sense to me to get her a couple of bras/camisole t shirts when I noticed this happening.  Would you buy your daughter (at any age, doesn't matter) a push up or padded bra?  At this point my answer is no, I wouldn't.  Her bras are cute, but they are just girly looking sports bras.  No padding, no "lift".  What are your opinions?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 3:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would not go with the padded bra yet. I would continue doing what you're doing with the sports bras or undershirts. But each girl go at their own pace and when she bumps up not just when its cold than u might want to maybe just try some padded bras. But I would wait as long as u can. Last year my 12 and 10 year started and now my 9 year has begun to bump up. I didn't see that coming so soon as to she is so very tiny that people don't believe she is 9. So u never know. But I would only go padded once u know she is starting to grow out and will continue to need bras.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 6:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I dunno. My lo is almost 3 and I didn't think I would have to worry about it until she was around 11 or 12 but dang I guess I'm in for a surprise soon lol. I'm still trying to get dd potty-trained! My own experience with bras has been that if they didn't have a bit of padding to them, the nipples show up, so I probably wouldn't have a problem with dd wearing a padded one when the time comes.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't think I would at 3... but in our case, DD (4) takes after her daddy's side and those women are HUGE up top. I'm anticipating that she develops early, so I think I will buy her one when it starts to be obvious all the time, and not just when she is cold. I personally didn't need one till I was 13 or 14, lol.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 4:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I was wearing one when I was 8. It was kinda annoying at the time too trying to get used to a bra. I don't notice dd showing through her shirt so maybe it will stay that way.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• WOW!
    It just seems to me that we are soooo bodily conscience in America.
    She's a little girl..little boys nipples get "Nippily" too when they're cold.
    When I was little we'd all run around topless at the ages of 2-5.
    No one cared, no one minded, no one looked and freaked...it wasn't sexual.
    As for padded bras, if my DD was uncomfortable with her body and it was depressing her (Like My Own Body Did)
    I would buy her a padded bra.
    If she was like 14 or so...anything younger, no.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Everyone's nipples get hard when it's cold: men, women, children. It's not sexual, it's just being cold. Why treat it like it's a sexual thing?

As for padded/push-ups; unless it's needed for a halloween/theatrical costume, I figure when my daughter gets old enough to want one, she's also old enough to buy it herself.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• See that's what I was thinking.  The material on the bras looks decently thick though without being "padded".  I'm just not ready for her to be in a freaking bra period, lol.  Of course she's not actually "developing", just feel the need to cover up the nipple show.  The padded ones make me nervous, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 4:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I had the undershirts when I was her age but I don't even think they made actual bras for girls at that age during my time, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 4:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Hers is mainly at the grocery store, lol.  She likes her undershirts more but she doesn't mind wearing her bras.  Before I had kids, I had never been around them.  When I noticed the "show" I kind of freaked, lol.  I didn't have anyone to ask about it or just get some opinions.  I'm comfortable with my choice now but I'm suprised at how freaked out I got at buying some freaking underwear, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 4:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• at her age she doesnt need padded bras, if you were to have her wear one now till she understood why she has to wear one she might feel that her "boobs" arent big enough or perky enough and she might develope a self esteem issue at a earlier age then most girls. so i really dont think padded until she actually can choose that for herself.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 5:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2011