why do you homeschool?

I hate the idea of someone I dont even know having that much control over my child's life

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 7:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• The short answer is that our kids asked to. The reasons make up the longer answer. Our older daughter was going into HS and did not fit in (thank goodness!) with the drugs, sex and violence that were going on daily. She would come home everyday so stressed that she would nearly be in tears, and the child who loved school since she was 5 now hated going. With our younger daughter, the focus of her school was playing the numbers game and she was told that unless she came in for tutoring her straight As could not be any higher than straight Cs (because of her 2 points lower than acceptable state test scores). Sat detentions were assigned to class, not to the single student acting out.  The last time, the teachers didn't even show up, one kid set off the alarm and the police came.  The teachers claimed there was no detention, but there were several kids there. 

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I only homeschooled one of my kids. I had to because he is Bipolar and cycled daily at the time and didnt do well in school. I got tired of the people who are supposed to be trained giving him hell because he had a mental disorder. It got beyond stupid. The last straw was one of them put their hands on my son and left a bruise on his arm and tried to suspend him to cover up what they did to him.

My other kids did well in school so I didnt homeschool them. However, as bad as public schools are getting I am likely moving my youngest into Christian school.

Answer by gemgem at 7:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I only home school one child as well. She was in school until this year and in August she got sick and was in the hospital for 2 months. We don't know what is wrong with her and she got sick again for 3 weeks right after Thanksgiving. She takes so much medication that it is hard for her to remember things and so we have been home schooling so she won't fall behind.

My other 2 children do well in school and my oldest goes to a charter school for the performing arts so I won't pull him out. He loves it and is getting something there that we can't give him at home.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I homeshchool because of severe bullying problems that the school refuses to do anything about!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I was homeschooled and wanted the experience of teaching my children.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If I thought that I could prepare my child for a top university, I would homeschool; I am not that smart or well-rounded.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011