food / waste disposal in a kitchen sink ..

i was watching gremlins last night and it got me wondering .. most sinks in england dont come with the waste disposal .. how do they work?
i know that you put left overs down there .. but ..
is it squashed that much it goes down the drain as normal like water does or does it go somewhere else that has to be emptied?

san78

Asked by san78 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I can't imagine living WITHOUT a garbage disposal!! WE also have a trash compactor--makes taking out the trash so much easier, and cleaner--trash gets squished into a nice little "block." ;o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• The waste is ground up, very finely, and joins the rest of the sewage stream.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I have had garbage disposal in a few places I live, but it's not the norm here in my little country area. We actually compost all leftover food. But otherwise, throw it in the trash. Or my relatives with outside animals on their farms....goes to the pigs, the cats or the dogs.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• oops, I got distracted, no idea where it goes....that's why I compost it to make better use of it in my own yard.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It is ground up with blades.

Answer by louise2 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It gets ground up and goes down the drain. If your pipes are not large enough it can cause major problems. We don't have a garbage disposal, but I am considering composting, I think it would be a great project to do with our kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It just chops it up very small (it's like a blender inside the sink). We don't put leftovers in there though, we put that in the trash. If I notice the sink is stopping up with water (maybe from food bits from plates), I turn on the garbage disposal to help the water unclog itself. I've never lived anywhere without one.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:31 AM on Jan. 30, 2011