Have things changed?????

We where waiting at H&R Block yesterday, to do our taxes. Well this one couple with a baby in one of those carrier things. Well the baby started crying. So she unbuckled the baby and grabed the babies arms and picked the baby up by the arms. This baby is maybe 3 month oldor less. I had to bite my tounge.

Tell me ladies. Has the way your supose to pick up babies changed. When my kids where that age you NEVER grabed their arms to picked them up. You picked them you behind the head/neck and their but/back..

Asked by louise2 at 8:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree and I actually see it all the time. On Teen Mom especially...
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Sounds a little "harsh!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:34 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• And by agreee I mean with you. Its not right.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• At that age I would not pick up from the arms but under the arms. They should have enough control of their neck at that age. Usually I look my hands under the arms and use my finger to help support the neck. It is a bit judgmental and just think that if that is the worst thing they do as a parent then they are doing pretty good. The way the anon put it is a little over the top but they have a slight point.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Not all parents bother to learn about child care, nutrition, development, etc. They know more about the candidates on american idol than raising a child

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Babies arms can easily be dislocated . Most babies 3 months and under can not support their own heads.  I think babies that young are like china dolls. They are very fragile. Yanking on their arms, making the head pop back. can Injure them.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I picked my babies up like that all the time once they could support their heads. They're not little China dolls. I wasn't yanking them around or anything and at 3 months it would have most likely been just under the arms.
    I was also tossing them up in the air at 3 months. My youngest dd LOVED that. My 6 month old gets all twisted up wrestling with my husband, spun around, tossed up high in the air, picked up by his arms and legs, etc.
    I never thought anything of it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011