Anyone compost?

What do I need to get started? Is it smelly? How large of an area do I need to designate? What can you compost?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I did for a couple weeks and quit cos it was too gross and lots of work for me. Hope it works for you though. You do need egg shells, coffee grounds & fruit peels. Someone misled me and told me to use old eggs too, but when we put the whole mixture in the garden the eggs stayed whole for months & months! Not fun when had to toss them later. Good luck!
    summerbabe

Answer by summerbabe at 9:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son does. He has a small container with an odor "eater" cover under his sink. The only thing he has told me not to put in there is meat of any kind. He empties it every other day or so to his pile outside. He has the RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel 0.5 Gallon Mini Compost Pail from Amazon.com
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I've tried composting but it never heats up enough to break down. I live in NJ. I have added a composting enzyme but it still isn't working. To get started Starbucks participates in composting and gives away the used grounds. It's great for gardening.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If you get an enclosed container that can "turn", it's so much easier & less smelly. Of course, when you open the top to put food scraps in, you might get a whiff. But, they sell really good composting containers at Home Depot or Lowe's for pretty cheap. Here is a link all about composting.

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/composting.

And here is a link to make your own compost tumbler at home, if you don't want to buy one.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS294&&sa=X&ei=kHVFTdrkEIjDgQeumo2yAQ&ved=0CBsQBSgA&q=homemade+compost+tumbler&spell=1

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• This is a better link for composting info

http://www.stopwaste.org/home/index.asp?page=441

samurai_chica

• I do here in Indiana. All you need is some fencing. or chicken wire. about four feet high and three feet wide. you can start now I have a slop bowl that I take out to it everynight. You need to then layer food then yard waste, grass clippings Etc. In the spring and summer water it like you do your garden. and stir it once a week. Not that hard.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• No, but I would like to. Came so close to purchasing a compost barrel that turned from Costco but wondered if I was getting the best value for my dollar. Still considering. Will visit my towns recycling center first though.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 10:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I compost and I use a closed container for it because we keep the bin up near our front patio for easy access. If you don't fuss with it too much by turning it constantly, that allows the pile to heat up enough to get cooking. You can put anything into your compost bin except the following: citrus peels, meat scraps, oils & fats, potato peels, weeds that have gone to seed and, if you want an organic garden, avoid newsprint/colored inks on paper and anything that's been treated with chemicals. You really shouldn't put spoiled foods into the pile either, as they just promote the wrong kind of rot/bacteria growth. If you have larger bits of food scraps to compost, chop them up into smaller pieces to help them compost faster or you can even run them through a food processor to chop them or liquify them before adding to your pile. Cheap cola can help to get a new pile hot & cooking quickly, but don't add too much.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I just toss scraps right into the garden & till it in.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We don't right now but we were looking into getting started. Looking forward to other poeple responding too.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011