Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving without kids after divorce?

In A nutshell, I was married and how 2 beautiful boys with my bastard of an ex. I divorced him in 2006 due to physical/mental abuse, but the courts split the brothers apart giving him our now 10 year old and I have the now 8 year old. we both have shared custody, and the brothers see each other every weekend. my oldest doesn't care about me a whole lot or just doesn't show it because his father and new fiance who was my friend brainwash him,ALTHOUGH I know deep down he really loves me.I got re-married to my night and shining in 2008, and we have 2 kids together plus the 8 year old. we need to move from south florida to Ga due to the financial problems, my mother who is ill, AND MORE. the problem is I know that my ex will never let me leave with our 8 year old, and I would have to leave him with the dad which I don't want to. I love all my children and feel that I am being pulled in 2 different directions. I cannot make it down here and if I stayed then I would not be able to give any of my kids a good life, and my 8 year old would end up at his dad's anyways. My 8 year old is dealing with some serious emotional disturbances, and I have him in therapy, but this is the second time, since his bastard of a father stopped it before. He now wants to interfere again, and I am scared that if I have to move without him he will not get the help he needs, AND MY CHILD WILL END UP KILLING HIMSELF. HIS DAD AND GIRLFRIEND ARE MEAN TO HIM.I wonder if I can go to court and get full custody of both or the eight year old, so that I am able to move with him.I would not move unless I absolutely had to, which is the case. I am deeply saddened and do not know what other options I have.Please anyone, I need some advice:(

Answer Question

Asked by Monarchlov12 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 4 (34 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • It doesn't hurt to try. GL

    Answer by aheuszel at 10:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Well you certainly need to try! Go to court with all the documentation about how you care for him daily, take him to therapy, his mental state, etc. I have no clue what the outcome will be must you must fight for the best outcome for your son. I also find it sad that you are willing to walk away from your oldest. But you know the situation best, not me.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Go to court try and get full custody you will need to have good reasons as to why you want to leave the state. If they wont allow it I would do everything in my power to stay near my sons. I wouldnt move.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • If you have the money to afford the lawyer and time to deal with the court then do it. You never know they may give you full custody but unless you have evidence proving that the stepmom and dad are mean or unfit it may make it a little harder on the court to give you full custody.

    Answer by bhoward87 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.