How do i stop breastfeeding?

My daughter is over 2 now and throughs huge fits every time i try to tell her no boob.

Cctsjmpr

Asked by Cctsjmpr at 11:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell her the milk is "all gone" and try to offer her milk in a cup. Redirect her to something fun, also - new toy, a snack, etc. My oldest responded well to "all gone" when I was ready to totally wean him at 18 months.
    Good luck.
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Good suggestion

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• She doesn't sound ready to stop.
    I wouldn't force her, but it's okay to encourage her to wean.. Start with telling her "in five minutes.." If you redirect her, she'll start finding things to entertain her instead..

When is she asking for booby? Is it when she's bored?? When she's upset?

Definitely start with the boredom boobies.. Show her something else that is fun.. And slowly start introducing new ways for her to soothe herself through upsets- but don't deny her breast when she really needs it!

As for the tantrums themselves, tell her that yelling will not get her what she wants, but if she uses her nice words she can ask again in 5 minutes..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Oh, and offering snacks is a good idea.. And let her know that if she still wants it once she's finished her snack, she can still have it..

The best approach to weaning is to do it child-led.. But redirecting, post-poning feedings, and encouraging weaning all give the choice to the child and make them feel in control of the situation, rather than forced... Afterall- ultimately the idea is that you ARE being understanding of her needs.. But never push too hard.. Don't flat out deny her, and don't make this into something with a time frame..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I cant believe you made it through teething let alone till she was two, but If it is that important the fits will stop after a day or two of stopping, my daughter is only a month old and she threw fits for a while when I started introducing formula becasue I wasnt producing enough milk but it got better
    SabinaG

Answer by SabinaG at 1:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I wouldn't force it. Over 2 is completely normal to still be breastfeeding, it is not uncommon in other countries for a child to breastfeed until 2 or 3, even older. Normally a child will self-wean between the ages of 18 months and 5 years. Some help to reduce feedings however is to make sure your child eats enough during the course of the day and to offer a wide variety of different kinds of food. Redirection also helps. Instead of saying no when she requests to nurse, instead calming go get her a cup of juice or water or chocolate milk. Maybe some food also. Over time she will start to want other things other then breast milk.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 4:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2008