to moms with child that has some delays/disability

my child has autism, she is three and a half
friday had 2nd doc do eval for autism
he said many many autism traits, but all are in mild range- the good news(glass half full)
also he said, daughter is age level like 2 yrs old
everyday can be hard, some harder

question..
do you ever catch yourself wondering what your child would be like without autism...like what is behide the fog
?

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 10:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• I try not to because it breaks my heart. My son will be with us into adulthood. He will not have a "normal' life. He's 9 and has the mentality of a 5 year old so far. So basically he's running at half his age mentally. Autism can be a terrible thing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• No I dont. My sons 17 now and is high functioning autistic. He sounds like your dd. He was a year maybe two behind from what my doctors used to say. Anyway now at 17 no one even would know he has a disability. He is very smart. He just misses some social cues and tells jokes that maybe arent so funny. You will be fine. Prepare for some behavior therapy as she gets older though. I had most issues with him in elementary school.

Answer by gemgem at 11:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son was diagnosed at 3 1/2. He was estimated to be about 16 months old in some aspects.
    I dont think of what he would be like because this IS who he is.
    I used to be a therapist for children on the spectrum. The reason no one has a crystal ball is because it does vary so much from child to child. I have seen some kids who changed dramatically from 3 to 5 and I have seen children who didn't change all that much.
    Four was hard for us. Four we still weren't potty trained. Four we still weren't using words. Four we were having a lot of problems. Five was better. Five we became potty trained. Five we started using siimple sentences. Five we were doing well.
    I've come to accept that THIS is his normal. This is MY normal. I prepare for the worst, but I hope for the best. I am preparing to care for him for the rest of my life, but hope one day he can care for himself.
    Take one day at a time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son is 13 now and will be with us into adulthood too. When he was younger I used to think about it. As he's gotten older, it's been easier to see his personality and I can imagine more about what he would be like. He's a jokester, so I imagine I'd have my hands full even if he didn't have autism!

Answer by missanc at 12:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• hey butterfly
    when your child was three and a half
    would you say he was at 2yrs old?
    what should i be expecting in future
    some days i try not to think of autism, give my mind a break
    some days i feel i need to look at, to prepare for things in future
    it can be a difficult balancing act

still looking at life with glass half full
    many traits but all are mild
    vs
    a few traits with traits being moderate or severe

no one has a crystal ball (very sick of hearing that from therapists and other professionals) but still would like to know something that i can prepare for

birth to three was great, i learned so much, now 6 months without therapists coming to home to watch and learn from them, i am on my own, year and a half waiting list for autim waiver list

anyone have idea what 4 yearsold will look like??
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• no potty training here
    getting ready for paperwork for 4K
    she will most likely not be using potty at that time either

this is my normal too
    just a reality check with friday doc saying she is like 2
    how can she do in 4k when she is like 2 yrs old!
    yes, she will have special education in this school

guess if i saw what she was like without autism for just a day, it would kill me all other days after that

just friday eval brought reality back into my face, was doing great, thinking things will be ok, that doc eval just make me come back to.... life is cruel
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my son has nocturnal seizures so totally not what you are going through but I have Cerebal Palsy and my mom and i talk about this alot...totally normal what you are going through,,,sort of a mourning that the child you have is having a different life that you imagined before getting the diagnoisis. What you have to do now is be strong as a parent and advocate and love the child that was given to you to the best of your abilities! GL to all of you going through something like this!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2011