My toddler keeps waking up in the middle of the night...HELP!!

I have a 19 month old toddler. She is a pretty good child, however, she often wakes up in the middle of the night, and stays awake for about 2 hours. I don't know what I am doing that is making it happen. Anyone have any advice?

dokume

Asked by dokume at 11:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 yr old does this often too ... and I started putting him in my bed, but he still wakes. Actually, neither of my kids, age 15 m and 2 1/2, do not sleep through the night.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• She my little one used to sleep through the night with no problems. Its just all of a sudden that she started to wake up in the middle of the night. And she's not having nightmares, she'll just wake up, and start playing really loud, then she'll start screaming because we don't pay attention to her.
    dokume

Comment by dokume (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• The little one I do childcare for is doing this. His parents just leave him and he goes back to sleep on his own. He plays in the crib for about 1.5 hours or so, cries a little, and goes back to sleep.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Is she napping too much during the day? Is she in any pain - sometimes ear infections will wake kids up before any other symptoms are present.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• She does nap during the day, and she's not acting like its her ear. I mean, she doesn't play with her ears, or whine like she's in pain.
    dokume

Comment by dokume (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• MY boys wake up when they have ear infections. Sometimes kids don't let you know when they hurt. if she has had a cold it is possible she has an ear infection.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• The first thing I thought of was the nap thing too. When does she nap? Maybe try and make her nap earlier in the day. If that's not the case, try and wear her out real good before she goes to bed and see if she sleeps through the night. Other then that, I would explain to her that it's the middle of the night and mommy and daddy don't play in the middle of the night.

Good luck and hopefully it's just a short little phase!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 12:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011