What differences to you notice in regards to education now vs. when you were in school?

I remember being able to master a skill before moving on and now students seem to be moving on without mastering skills. I know teachers are being forced to cover skills in a certain time frame for these standardized tests. What have you noticed that is different?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 11:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I notice that parent have NO respect for teachers and the rules of the school. When I went to school, if I did something wrong at school, I got punished at home. Now there are parents who will call up the school and yell at the teacher and/or principal because it must be THEIR fault their child acted they way they did.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Anon
    Have YOU tried to tell a parent that their child is a bully? Many have had tried to stop it and then the parents yell at the teachers that their child isn't a bully. I used to work in public school and there are a lot of parents that have "not my child" syndrome. Yes, I agree that most teachers no longer try to stop it, but that is because their hands are pretty much tied by the parents.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• ANON when a teacher has NO SUPPORT from administration, it is hard to control bullying in the classroom ALONE. Sadly, many DO NOT have the proper support from administration when it comes to bullying. The school as a whole needs to work together and make a PLAN for bullying. imo I'd never just put it all on the teachers. It's on PARENTS-TEACHERS-and ADMINISTRATORS.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Class sizes are outrageous these days, kids that want to can't thrive in this environment.

Answer by older at 3:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't know the differences. I suspect it was very similar.  What I noticed working in schools that I was disheartened to hear: teachers bad mouthing parents.  EVERY parent was considered a bad parent.  EVERY parent who had a concern was a bitch.  The name calling behind parents back, the gossiping that went on....how unprofessional, cruel, mean, and flat off the mark.  And it was at many schools.  Not just isolated.  When I meet teachers....they complain relentlessly about how many parents don't care or are not involved.  I do agree, having worked in schools, that teachers are pressured to teach for the state standardized tests.  That is different.  Kids I saw had anxiety over these tests.  Often working themselves up to the point of vomiting and literally getting sick from the pressure. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I went to Catholic school, and so do my kids...even in those schools, they are not as strict as they were in my day. Nuns were feared!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• @layh41407-I completely agree with you as well!
    Queenofscrap

Comment by Queenofscrap (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Kindergarten goes for a full day and not half with no naps it was not like that when I was in school. They work my sons little butt off but hes learning so much :)
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Teachers are made to test over teach. Those test results seem to be more important to the higher ups than kids actually learning and mastereing before moving on. This is one of the reasons I homeschool. I do not blame the teachers for this. In fact, I know many teachers who have left the school system to homeschool their own because of these very reasons.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Teachers just don't care and they put up with bullying instead of trying to stop it!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2011