Which Clinton?

Never really thought about this until just now - if you see a headline that says something like "Clinton Calls For..." or "so and so Meets With Clinton", do you immediately think Bill or Hillary? Sometimes context is a clue, but just now I was reading news and saw the headline "Clinton calls for a peaceful transition to democracy in Egypt" and my immediate thought was Bill was off playing diplomat ala Carter.

This also leads me to wonder - does Hillary get as much press notice as Condi or Colin Powell ever did? It seems Pelosi got far more attention that Hillary, even now she still does. Is it by design and coming out of the long standing split between the Clinton Dems and the Obama Dems? Just a fluke? Or is she intentionally keeping a low profile to avoid association with all the policy decisions of this term?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it may be a good play on her part or a play on the Obama teams part to not make her a threat in the next election. I know this is not a popular belief, but I think our country would have been better off with Hillary. She is one smart country and while she is not everything a republican may want after being in the first lady spot for 8 years she was better equipped to find middle ground.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• One smart cookie. Sorry kids and I are both still sick .
    Alanaplus3

• I guess it all depends on what the subject is, but I find that I am wrong sometimes when I end up guessing. I first think Hillary when it comes to official business, but in supportive roles I figure it is Bill. I think she will keep her distance from the decision making so that she can keep her distance from the consequences as well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I know this is not a popular belief, but I think our country would have been better off with Hillary

Over Obama, I think it is a very popular belief. There is a rift between Obama and Hillary. If she is going to run, her campaign began the day she condemned the debt Obama has racked up as a threat to national security.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Over Obama, I think it is a very popular belief.

Relatively speaking, yes. Had the Dems run Hillary instead of Obama, they may very well have seen a legitimate majority instead of a technical plurality where they can say they got more than x% of the x amount of people who showed up and bothered to vote, almost exceeding the margin of error. If you consider there's a good chance it would've been Bayh on the ticket instead of Biden, it could even have been a huge sweep.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If it is something to do with government business I think Hillary. I can usually tell the difference
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Depends on context, but if it sounds like it's referring to current government business, then I think Hillary. If it's about the past, some kind of humanitarian efforts or something not specifically government related, I would probably assume Bill. I haven't really paid attention to whether she getting more or less coverage in the news overall, but it may be less. I just saw something yesterday where she was making statements about Egypt, but I don't recall the last news story I read about her before that one. Maybe she is covered less for whatever reason--maybe even by choice.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2011