What did your mother tell you about raising children that was absolutely bunk?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• My mom told me that too. She said they will make me say the most stupid things. Which my ds has. I find myself saying, "You will lose your sippy cup privileges!" Who in the world would have thought having a cup was a privilege!!

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• That theyd make me insane.

Answer by gemgem at 11:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I'm not a parent yet, but I am a teacher and the one thing she told me was that "parenting is not a popularity contest" it doesnt matter what other parents, or in my case teachers, do. What matters is that you do the best you can!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 11:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My mom was not a good mom, therefore she told me nothing at all about being a good parent. I learn things on my own and I read parenting books, too. It's a process and it takes time to learn the ropes of parenthood. She did however tell me that I was a better parent than she was.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• ok should have read the rest of the question lol time to go back to bed!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 11:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• She told me that once I have children and get married I would never have my own stuff or my own time. Oh wait.... that's true. hmmmm.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• She never got a chance to tell me anything. She died 2 months after my first was born. Those weeks she was alive she was very sick. She had a stroke a few days before I had the baby and didn't get out the hospital until a week after I did. That was 10 1/2 years ago. I miss her and wish I had her here to give me advice...good or bad.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My mom didn't, she's been a great source of advice with my kids - she knew to wait until I asked for it before she told me what to do. BUT, my MIL hsa been full of "bunk" with her parenting advice. Probably the worst thing she was able to convince me of what that I would be a horrible wife and mother if I wanted to go to college. It makes me sick to think of how much I actually listened to her when we first got married, and I can only be thankful that now I've come to realize she's a complete idiot and I no longer waste my time listening to her.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011