Colposcopy question

I am 16 wks along and have to have a colposcopy on Monday. Is it possible that the irritation of my cervix from it will put me into pre term labor (or whatever you call it this early)? Anyone know what I should expect as far as side effects from it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• A colpo should not do anything to cause pre-term labor. After making a thorough visual examination of your cervix, and if there are any areas that appear to be needing a biopsy, the doctor will take either a scraping (only a few cells thick) of the surface of the cervix, or the doctor may do a punch bipsy. I have had several colpo's in the last few years and its really not invasive at all. Before they start the procedure, be sure to ask the doctor and explain your concerns.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 11:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Since you're pregnant, they probably won't take a biopsy, or if they do it will be a very minor scraping. They won't do a punch biopsy with you pregnant for sure. All they do it put vinegar on your cervix and then look at it through a special lens to see any cell changes.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Talk to your doctor about the risks. I had a colposcopy done and I did not know that I was six weeks pregnant at the time. I miscarried later that afternoon, and found out I was pregnant at that time.
    My OBGYN stated that if he had known that I was pregnant that he would not have done it the same. It would not have been as invasive.

I just wish you the best of luck. I am pregnant again and no doctor is going down to do a colposcopy on me until after the baby is born.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Ironically, I had one done yesterday. Unless the doctor takes a biopsy, you will be fine. If he or she does need to take a biopsy, it can cause your cervix to bleed, but they put something on it to stop the bleeding. The doctor put the medicine or whatever it is on my cervix after the biopsy and I haven't had any spotting at all and I'm 22 weeks pregnant. Good luck. The doctor should only do what is absolutely necessary and in the best interest of you and your child.
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 12:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2008