What differences have to you notice in regards to education now vs. when you were in school?

The biggest difference I have noticed is when I was in school we were able to master a skill before moving on...where as now, teachers are forced to cover their subject skills in a short amount of time so they can move on to the next one in order to have all the information covered for these standardized tests. Have you noticed anything different?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 11:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was going to say the EXACT same thing OP.

They rush into the new studies without ever making sure the kids know the other stuff by heart. I feel like the SECOND my daughter catches on, they're on to something new. And, that makes it harder for her to remember. They used to DRILL stuff into our heads so we'd never forget, they just don't do that anymore. It seems a lot of teachers are happy with their students just getting by & just barely understanding the subject. DD has went from multiplication, to division, to geometry, to basic algebra & now fractions, & next is decmals. The SECOND she grasps it, they're off to the next math subject. Then, later in the year when they take tests to see what they remembered, DD has a hard time remembering the previous stuff because their trying to shove so much into her brain at once. I have complained, but that's the curriculum. Not much i can do about it but practice extra at home.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• They teach to the test now which takes away from what the kids learn in my opinion. I have tutored after school for University Instructors and it was such a shock in my first year that what I was teaching them were all things the teacher should have taught them and made sure they knew before having to go to a tutor. Instead the kids and parents all had the same complaint, theyd spend so little time to master a skill and then move onto something else thatd be on the end of grade test.
    I remember end of grade tests in school, but they were nothing like whats being done now. We would actually have rewards after the tests like half day of tests then a dance the rest of the day. We didnt have the threat of being held back because we under performed. Kids did better back then because there wasnt the same pressure.

Answer by gemgem at 11:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If you acted up, you were sent to the principals office for whacks. Seemed to take care of a lot of problems. When you did screw up in school you got into trouble at home as well. Now the parents are at the school crying that THEIR child would not do such a thing. And we must avoid responsiblity at all costs for fear of hurting their wittle feelings.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Teachers are losing more and more power in the classroom, especially in regards to discipline.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 1:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• All the politics. Teaching isn't teaching anymore. It's performing for the government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Ever since NCBL came into play, it's a lot more TEACHING TO THE TEST, which I find discouraging, since I teach. I feel a lot of the surriculum is FORCED, allowing me very little room to go "beyond the text."

Anonymous

• Too remedial now, and no critical thinking. Kids get to college prepared to memorize things long enough to take a test on them, but have absolutely no clue how to write about them or use them. As an example - I have 2 classes this semester that go deeper into subjects you cover earlier on the way to your degree. Both of them spent a few weeks on nothing but review, because some people took the previous classes recently, and others haven't had them since high school. This is bare basic stuff, the kind of thing that you should've used so often that even if you can't pull it out spontaneously, a small reminder should be all it takes. About a third of the classes (which happens to be the younger third) are totally lost. They had to pass those previous classes to get into these, but they can't even remember the things that they would've used through the entire class.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Kids aren't held back unless the parents really want them to be, kids aren't smarter than they used to be - the technology has just changed a bit. There are huge chains of tutoring help that are available to help either get a child up to speed or to enhance their learning experience because they either aren't getting what they need at school, or the parent's expectations aren't being met by the schools. Kids are taught to test, not taught material they need to know and tested on their knowledge of what they should have been able to learn.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Teachers are teaching students how to take those tests, not just to learn skills, as you said. I believe in memorization and spelling and learning these things....which I don't see being taught anymore.
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Back in my years at school, I was isolated and alienated.. Treated as the problem child. Not a hurt confused kid, that needed some help with ADD. I'm so glad they are acknowledging learning disabilities more now, instead of dismissing the child off as a nuicance.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2011