If you had a Deaf child.....

Would you send them away to a school for the Deaf (usually hours away) or would you have them mainstreamed into public school with the use of a personal interpreter?

Asked by banana-bear at 11:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• if it could be done in a public school, i would prolly do that! at some point, the child would need to learn to interact with others that are not like them, what better place to do it! plus, i think it would be hard on the child and parent to be so far away!

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Public school. I went to school with a few girls that are deaf, one was the best basketball player we had.

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• public school

Answer by whitefamily at 11:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• public school.

Answer by dancer at 11:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my dd 15 wears a hearing aid (in her right ear) and she goes to public school, we just bought her the best hearing aid on the market that came with great equiment (the school was given special mic's and boxes to place in each of her classes) that her hearing aid pick up (no one else hears the amped sound) and we love having her in public high school and she is envolved in a lot of activities as long as you dont treat the child any differently then they wont feel any my vote is for public school....

Answer by cara124 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would try public school with a personal interpreter. However if that didn't work out, I'd move to a town with a deaf school, send him there, but I'd have him come home every night.

I'm hearing impaired, and I didn't have access to any of that, no interpreter, no special school, nothing. I had to act as if I were a perfectly normal child, and while I was for the most part, I couldn't hear well enough to understand the lessons properly. Made me look like an idiot (even though I knew I wasn't). I'd have killed for any kind of program that would have helped me.

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I have several deaf friends and I believe that taking them out of public schools can start making them feel depressed and useless because they cant hear. I would allow them to go either school they wish, I prefer a public school.

Answer by TeenMom525 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i would let her pick the kansas school for the deaf is just 10min from our house so to me it wouldnt matter!! whatever makes her happy!! the school is amazing and the kids are great! i used to b a teacher aid there while i was in high school! they always called me the weird hearing girl lol!! they were just joking, they all had a great sense of humor!

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2011