First time flying with baby...

My husband, son and I are headed across the country in the beginning of December (quick trip with little notice, as it is for a job interview) & we will be flying with our 7 m old son for the 1st time. Any advice? What do I do about a car seat? Stroller? Packing? It seems so overwhelming, but I am trying to keep it in perspective as others have done it before and I would like it to be enjoyable. I would REALLY APPRECIATE any help/ hints. Thanks!

madlyinlove412

Asked by madlyinlove412 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Travel

• I've never flown with a baby but I took my two year old on a plane in Jan. Pack whatever you would normally put in a diaper bag. Have a bottle ready on the plane so he can suck on it when you're taking off. Don't worry too much people are friendly and will help you. You can take your stroller all the way to the plane and they will store it up front and have it waiting for you when you get off. Also you can board the plane first since you'll have your baby. Good luck and save travels!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I suggest a small car seat with the baby bag brought with you as your carry on. And for your safety i pray and you should too that your child sleeps the whole time. Cause there was a lady kicked off her flight cause her child cried too much. so be careful.I would keep the kid awake the whole day or night before and then you and it sleep during trip.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19735896/
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 11:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Keep your stroller with you and gate check it as you board. If your baby is flying as a lap child, you can either gate check your car seat (if you're a worrier like me that it will get lost), or you can check it like normal luggage. But if you bought your baby a seat, you will need your carseat on the plane. Carry on a large diaper bag with way more diapers, wipes, food, and extra clothes for baby than you think you'll need, just in case you get delayed, cancelled, or your luggage is lost. Bring a new toy or two to keep baby distracted. Bring a pacifier or something for baby to drink/suck on during take off and landing. And just be prepared to smile apologetically to a lot of strangers. It will be fine.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Oh and you can have a carry on for you, your son, and your purse. That is if you need all of those things.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• ok car seat you do not have to bring it on the plane unless you pay for an extra seat for your baby, if not it goes under the plain with luggage. stroller you can bring all the way to the door of the plane and you'll have to leave it in the hallway (forgot what it's called) you get me, what you walk on to get to the plane, and it will be there when you land. at the luggage check in let them know and they will give you a tag so you know it's yours. as for a carry on/diaper bag bring snacks. you can buy juice after you walk through the gate. make sure you have a bottle for ear popping. make sure you have plenty of toys or any thing that will keep him distracted. oh and you have to hold him in your lap and buckle him to you. hope this helps if you need more help pls pm me.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Oh, and most airlines will tell you that you can only bring an umbrella stroller. That's a total lie. I always bring my big honkin' stroller and nobody has ever said a thing to me about it. And I've seen TONS of other moms do the same on just about ever airline in the US. So just ignore that policy... lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have always flown for one reason or another when my kids were little (under a year). I never got them their own seat, so was able to check the carseat. They sat on my lap which made things a lot easier. I would wait to feed them their bottle until we were about to take off. The sucking allows their ears to pop when they need too like when you chew gum. Plus the milk (full tummy) plus the motion always seemed to put them to sleep until we landed (keep in mind the longest plane ride was 1.5 hours then a 20 min layover and another hour ride) It was not as bad, I do my best not to take my older kids/mobile kids on plane rides though. they do not sleep as much and get bored easy.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Thanks girls! It helps to have some hints... but oh my I did not even THINK about getting booted from the flight cause of crying... geez oh man... guess its just more to think about!
    madlyinlove412

Answer by madlyinlove412 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have never seen someone get booted for a baby crying! We have flown often and have been on planes with screaming babies and never have they been booted. Make sure you have food for your baby (extra in case the flight is delayed overnite etc, and extra change of clothes for the both of you. If he is in your lap and his diaper leaks, etc. I always only brought an extra shirt and a pair of thin running pants that take up no room.

Have fun and good luck!
    WildRover

Answer by WildRover at 5:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• We always paid for the seat for our children and brought their car seats as well. They are comfortable in them and it made it really easy. They slept the whole flight and I never even kept them up the night before. The droning of the plane makes them sleep like the car sound makes them sleep. I am sure it will go fine!
    WildRover

Answer by WildRover at 5:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2008