my baby wont sleep!

i think he has a sleep disorder his birth mother does and is bipolar ivetried everything to make him sleep and nothing works he gets maybe 8-9 hours of up and down sleep per 24 hours hes fussy all day and cranky. i dont know what to do! help! I try laying with him rocking him holding him letting him sleep with me, warm milk lullabies warm bath check his diaper make sure he eats and drinks enough ...and plays alot during the day but he wont sleep! i dont know what to do! i feel like im loosing my mind! =[

Rawwwrxxx

Asked by Rawwwrxxx at 11:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I do not really know what to tell you, but my emergency daycare lady has 3 boys with sleeping disorders where they are only able to sleep 2 or 3 hours at a time 24/7. Their symptoms arose around 1 or 2 yrs old she says. For the life of me I can not remember what she called it, but her doc diagnosed it, gave them something for it to help them sleep more normally (the meds changed as their age changed of course) and she put a tv in each of their rooms when they reached 5 or so, so that when they woke up during the night they would turn on the tv and relax in bed so as to not wake their mom or rest of the family. I would ask your doc. good luck, it sounds like you are in a rough situation.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I am an RN hon.... that Tv thing is a good idea my son was in the nicu for 3 weeks and now he has to have a TV so he dont get scared...... I was talking to my friend which is a doc about a question like this one.... he said that u can try giving him 0.8 ml of tylonal at night to see if that helps him sleep....
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 11:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I don't know anything about sleeping disorders, but I would make sure he's not over stimulated. Babies get over stimulated very easy and makes for a hard time relaxing. Don't get him up unless he's full out crying. If he's just fussing, leave him be. He's just re adjusting himself, and will most likely fall back asleep.

Sleep begets sleep. Don't keep him up thinking that he's going to be more tired. Put him on a good nap schedual during the day ( I suggest 8-10 am and 1-3/4 pm) and put him to bed about 7 or 8.

Don't go running and get him up every time he makes a noise. Make sure he's swaddled and cozy. Try sleeping him on is side, or if you feel comfortable enough, on his tummy. Remember sometimes babies need to cry to unwind. It releases stress.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 12:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'm not sure why you see this as a sleep disorder??
    What's wrong with what he's doing?

Instead of trying to force him to sleep in the afternoon, just have a lay down, chill out period- he may fall asleep, he may not.. But that often helps with the crankies that pop up..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2008