i think my 8 month old has thrush?

i think she has thrush... almost positive, but cant say for sure because ive never seen it before. she also has a cold. i dont know much about it, how do they get it? and is it something that can be wait to seen tomorrow morning at the doctors office or is it something i need to bring her to the emergency room for?

sophiejsmommy

Asked by sophiejsmommy at 12:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son has thrush, diagnosed Thursday, also with a yeast infection. I'd say you can wait until tomorrow. I wouldn't take the chance at the er for exposure to other illnesses. Good Luck! My son has no appetite, temp. fussy and not sleeping very well.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 12:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son got it. He actually picked it up from an antibiotic. They use a mouth rinse to treat it. If he isn't in any discomfort or pain, it's probably safe to wait until tomorrow. But any swelling of the throat and mouth go to the ER. Also, keep your hands clean! It's contagious. It's a fungus and it spreads.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thrush is not something that needs emergency care .... so what I would suggest to you is that you contact your doctor's office first thing in the morning and ask for an asap appointment to get it looked out to see if it's thrush for one thing... and if it is.. to get something to treat it so it does not get worse.

But I certainly do not think it warrants a trip to the emergency room... (first you''d be exposing your child to all kinds of germs, you'd also probably be put on the bottom of the totem pole for getting seen and a fussy baby in the ER lobby will probably have you fussy by the end of it)...

So absolutely your child needs seen by a doctor and I'd make an urgent care appointment in the morning.

That's at least, what I would do.
    Randomosity2

Answer by Randomosity2 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thank you, ladies! I didn't really think that it was an "emergency", but since she is my first baby & I have never experienced it before, I wasn't sure & wanted to be totally sure before I did anything!
    sophiejsmommy

Comment by sophiejsmommy (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• In the mouth thrush is gong to look like white dots on her tongue, cheeks, rough of mouth, or throat. If it is left untreated it can migrate down through their system, then it's a mess and uncomfortable all around for them. It's easily treated. Can get it a variety of ways. I sugget you soak all toys in hot bleach water. Clean all bottles and nipples in bleach water then rinse them well, or clean them then run them through the dishwasher. As well as pacifiers if using them. Just try to clean everything off really well.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011