how to get rid of the pacifier?

My son is 6months old and I WILL NOT have a little 2 yr old running around with a pacifier in his mouth. I want it gone! We have already cut it out unless its nap/bed time and that has been no issue at all BUT he cant sleep with out it. He wakes up for it around 3-5 times a night for it and were both done! He dosent wake up to eat just for the binky. I know if we could just get rid of it he would sleep through the night. Any ideas? My son is so stubborn he can cry for over an hr if he wants something and doesnt get it so I really dont know if going cold turkey on him will work. Any one ever have this problem and found something that worked?

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My husband cut the binkni nipple off infront of my son and told him that he can't have it anymore,. It was a very sad two hours in our house but he got over it
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I got one of my son's cheaper pacis and I cut the end off. I told him that it was broken and there are no more pacis! It took a night or two to get used to it but I just kept showing it and reminding him that it was broken. Of course I had to make sure there weren't any hidden anywhere but it worked great for my son. He is a stubborn little boy to so maybe it will work for you!

Good Luck!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 12:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• wait til the sucking reflex is gone. while they still have it they need to suck to sooth themselves. you won't have a 2 year old with a pacifier but you'll know when the reflex is gone.(within the next month or 2) then take it away
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• With my daughter, we had just moved and with the move we transitioned her to a big girl bed. and at that point also took the pacifier away. She didn't cry or fuss about it either.. because we correlated it with the 'big girl' room and such. And the transition seemed smooth based on my memory.

With my son, we never had a pacifier problem, we didn't even have a thumb sucking problem and by the age of one, he decided he didn't want the bottle anymore.

What works with each child is different.

But generally the easiest way is just to take them all way, you might have a couple of rough nights... but that should be it...and then it's done.

It's best to get rid of it sooner rather than later because it'll impact how the teeth come in and all of that. If you don't want to go to the extreme of just snatching it away and getting rid of it....

Try getting some of that bitter spray.... to make it less palatable.
    Randomosity2

Answer by Randomosity2 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My daughter threw hers in the mud and tried putting it back in her mouth needless to say she DID NOT want a pacifier after that. So my suggestion would be put something that your son doesn't like on it and hand it to him so he assoicates something bad with it and won't want it anymore.
    Luna_Bell

Answer by Luna_Bell at 12:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I let my kids keep theirs until age 2, but I took it away immediately and never gave it back. You throw it away and stand your ground. Don't go buy a new one. I wouldn't have tossed it at 6 months, but definitely feel like over age 2 is too old for one.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I bought a toy and told my dd if she wanted the toy she had to give me the passy. I'm not sure how well that will work for a 6 month old but it worked and we had no problems.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• at 6 months he still has a sucking need...it's comforting for them and there's nothing wrong with it...it's better than having the fingers in the mouth and the teeth growing in funny b/c of it. A dentist will tell you that they don't worry about it until 4 years of age...I think that's WAY too old. My daughter is 2 and only takes it to sleep..it's comforting and there is no need to take it from him...6 months is still just a baby.....if he needs it to sleep, then he needs it to sleep...he won't go to Kindergarten with it :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Does he have something else to suck on? Is he nursing, can you replace the paci with the boob? If not, I highly suggest you hold on to the paci. They were invented to replace the comfort nursing done at the breast for bottlefed babies. Babies have a very strong oral need and suck reflex and taking that away too early can be traumatizing.

And you may just have a 2 y/o walking around with a paci... and it's not the end of the world. Many 2 y/o's still have that oral need and it's totally normal. What you can do is limit it's use. Naptime and bedtime... stressful situations or if they get hurt, etc... walking around with it constantly isn't good, but used correctly pacifiers can be very good for bottlefed babies to get their needs met.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think 6 months is too young to make them give up a paci that they are used to having. My oldest had his until 2 and we "lost" it one night, he cried and then never again, my 4th child gave his up on his own at 20 months (of course, with both of them we had limited it to their cribs only at nap/bedtime at 12 months).

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011