Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What kind of doctor tests for ADHD?


Asked by banana-bear at 12:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 24 (19,727 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • Our pedi didn't, though going there was the first step. We were sent to a child psychiatrist for the proper evaluation after the pediatrician said through his evaluation he would agree with my concerns The visit with the psychiatrist hasn't happened yet but after reading a few books and one in particuliar I'm not planning to continue any further.

    The best book in my opinion is "Ritalin is Not the Answer: A Drug-Free, Practical Program for Children Diagnosed with ADD or ADHD" by David B Stein

    I've only been using the techniques talked about in this book for about 9 days and already there is a HUGE difference in my 6 year old son both at home and at school. With doing this consistantly I can see my son not needing to be evaluated and medicated.

    It's an awesome book....I took it out of the library but bought a copy for under $5 at Amazon!

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Your pediatrician will do the test and then they might refer you to a Developmental Pediatrician.

    Answer by aheuszel at 12:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • No problem and good luck. There is a "action guide" book as well that goes with it but I don't have it. But the book was very helpful and it will take time and practice......but I'm so glad I found it because I don't want to medicate either!

    Good Luck

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Your pedi or family Dr. can. All they do is give you questions that need to be filled out by you and teaches

    Answer by how_reb at 12:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • a child psychiatrist

    Answer by pookipoo at 12:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • My sister's bf has ADD and he has to go to a psychiatrist to get his I would assume a psychiatrist would have to diagnose it.

    Answer by mommy_jules at 12:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • We were already referred to a developmental pediatrician, however, we lost our health insurance (but managed to get Medicaid for the children) and couldn't keep our appointment. I have yet to find a developmental pedi who takes Medicaid.


    Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • It isn't a test per say. You fill out a questionnaire, your child's teacher (if they have one) fills out a questionnaire, and a pediatric psychologist or psychiatrist evaluates them and makes recommendations from there. If you choose a psychiatrist, they can prescribe medications if needed.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • If you call MCD they will be able to tell you where one is available, if all else fails your pediatrician can do everything from his office they just don't prefer to. GL

    Answer by aheuszel at 12:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • There is a test for ADD and ADHD, myself and my son have both undergone testing. My family practitioner referred us to a phsycologist, not a psychiatrist. But I have had family practioners prescribe meds as well. The FP was checking his blood levels to see how the meds were doing as well.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011