• In the Spotlight:

This is for my vegan moms, do you make your own milk alternatives?

I like to drink alternative milks but the prices are outrageous. I recently tried hemp milk and I was absolutely blown away by the taste. I also started making my own coconut milk and I love it. Are there any good sites and books that I try out so that I can make my own nut milks? I would really love to hear some good suggestions, thanks.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I don't think I could do it for 2 or $2.50 a jug. I stock up on different brands/styles when they're on super sales. Not vegan but like my kids to experience all kinds of milk on a constant basis. Soy, almond, oat, and whatever else I can get my hands on
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't, but I did see once on the 5dollardinners.com site that she makes her own rice milk on occasion - I want to say she posted about it about a year ago. I don't remember how she did it, but it didn't sound too hard. She also takes e-mail requests for stuff, so if you'd ask her about it I'm sure she'd either do some research or find a guest blogger, or just put up a blog about what others do!
    Anonymous

• We use very little milk of any kind, so it would not be worth the bother for us.
    My friend kadee has a soyajoy, and love it!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2011