non schooling?

I was watching a discovery channel documentary, and these parents were non schooling their children? They didnt send their kids to school or even home school their children, they just took their kids to muesuems or hung out with them. I dont really know to be honest. Im sending my son to school definitely but this had me wondering..how do these kids go to college? Is this really an effective method of bringing children up in this world and preparing them for the world? Its not really any of my business how people raise their children, im just curious. Anyone doing this method? Anyone heard of it? Whats your opinion?

Bobbysgurl

Asked by Bobbysgurl at 1:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I taught school for 20+ years and I think the socialization process of learning how to behave in a variety groups and independently is important in today's society. I disapprove, but I wouldn't let them know. It's their choice.
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• yea, ive never heard of this since i watched this documentary, like i said its none of my business but i always thought socialization was good too, im not to crazy about this method but i agree im keeping my mouth shut, im just curious lol.
    Bobbysgurl

Comment by Bobbysgurl (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i've heard about it but don't know much about it. i was thinking the other day about my son having to start school in a couple years, and how i don't want him in public school but i can't afford private school right now, and i don't see myself fit to homeschool...so i was jokingly telling my husband they just won't go to school. i'm pretty sure if i push myself i could homeschool if i had to, but i can't just not put them in school, doing the non schooling thing to me doesn't seem right. they gotta learn somehow...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It's called "Unschooling". I homeschooled my 2 youngest boys, and was involved in several homeschool groups here in Los Angeles, and also in Wyoming.

I personally don't believe unschooling is a good idea. I knew a number of unschoolers, that were the same ages as my younger boys or close to it. In fact, 2 of the kids....who were a year older than each of my boys, had parents who had postgraduate degrees, the father was literally a rocket scientist who worked in aerospace and had a Phd. the mom had a master's degree, but they unschooled their kids.

By the time our kids were at the age for 6th grade (and I followed our school district curriculum at that point) my kids were able to read at a college reading level, but these kids were barely reading, and couldn't write out reports.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Continued:

Anyway, these kids had to give their reports off the top of their heads. My kids are all now in college, the youngest started college at 15. We were very structured.

The idea of unschooling is that kids will learn by living life, and that might have worked 150 years ago, but in today's society, they will have a difficult time competing, and making it in the real world.

As for socialization, I think often homeschoolers have a more diverse social experience. Only in a regular school setting do you spend your time with people who are the same age, and from the same basic economic background, etc. In college and in our jobs that changes....homeschoolers are generally involved in a lot of other types of groups. They hang out with kids both younger and older, and spend time talking to adults, most that I know do service work with different organizations, so the socialization is what the parents make it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• By the way....One of my kids went to private school when he was younger, then public school until he graduated. One went to public school, was homeschooled for several years, then chose to go back to public school, where he graduated from high school. One went to public school, then was homeschooled for several years, and chose to continue homeschooling when his brother went back to public school......are 3 are in college.

I don't think homeschooling is the right choice for every family, it's a very important decision to make, and you have to be very committed, but I do think it's an important option to have available, and should have stricter checks on it than many states have.

I loved going to school, and I went all the way through public school. I think that education....whatever choice a family makes requires parents to be involved, and participate in their child's education.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• How many parents show their children the advantages of reading and writing on a daily basis? Do you have your child watch you write a shopping list, or do you just know what you are buying? Do you "do math" when shopping, etc?

Often times we want so much for our children, but we forget we are the roll models. Trust your instincts and your children will do you proud. Just saying....
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• It's called "Unschooling" and yes, I've heard of it. My feeling is this, IF the children are able to do all the basic requirements of children who are in school I don't see an issue. The entire idea of Unschooling is that children learn better when they are doing rather than learning how to do. So rather than sitting and learning fractions out of a book, they learn fractions by cooking and measuring out different things. Rather than learning history by reading about it, they go to Gettysburg and walk the field. When done the way it's supposed to be done it's a very hands on way of learning rather than book learning. And in fact children who are properly Unschooled retain more knowledge than those who simply learn from books or computer programs. HOWEVER, many parents use Unschooling as an excuse to just sit on their ass and not teach.

It works when it's done right, but if it's not, the kids are screwed!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I have nothing against homeschooling if you can do it more power to you! I know someone who homeschooled her 8 kids, all her kids are doing awesome...personally as much as i love my child i dont have the ability to. Not only am i terrible in math and history but i know id be saying..What do you mean you dont understand!?! lol..nah, for me ill leave the teaching to the pros.
    Bobbysgurl

Comment by Bobbysgurl (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I saw something like that, too. I personally think that it is a bad idea to allow your kids to sit around and do nothing when they should be learning. Education is so important and If a parent wants their child to be unschooled, then they have to do it the right way.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2011