Birds..what kind have you had or do have?

I have a sun conure. She is hilarious! Way fun.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Pets

• I have had several parakeets, loved them. I let them fly freely around the house for the most part.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I can't help but feel sorry for birds that people keep in cages. It just seems so selfish to me to keep a bird in a cage for our own entertainment, instead of allowing it to soar through the skies like it's supposed to.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We had finches for a long time. The big birds are wonderful personalities if socialized. My brother has a Macaw Parrot he's had for 22 yrs. I learned just recently his life expectancy is up to 50 yrs. That's a life long committment. He is a lot of work..but they are inseparable.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• OMG do your research before you bash please. My conure spends the whole day out of her cage, and I am "her person". She wants to be here. Not to mention, her habitat is very large and she prefers to be in there when the dogs are in the house.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I had a quaker. He wasn't very old when he passed. I prob. will not get another bird. I love seeing them in stores, but found I wasnt that good of a bird owner. (I didn't kill him or anything, but didn't feel comfortable around him)
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 7:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• the person that said about flying free, blah blah blah. do u realize captive birds have waaaaaaay longer life spans? they don't go a day or week without eating. they don't have to be afraid all the time of preditors, they don't have to freeze. gee get a life ms. born free. my birds love to fly around my house and they too have large habbies to retreat to when they want to. to the rest of you , i have a quaker parrot that can talk a little, he can bark, he copies my dove noises, he can cry like a little puppy, wolf whislte and whistle for my dogs. he sets by my computer everyday and bums food or drinks, he loves for me to talk to him and he rubs his head up and down my arm affectionetly. i have two finches that i love to her peep peep peep. my baby cockatiel likes to try to to peep peep with them. they get the best food, clean cages and lots and lots of attention. no owls chasing them to eat them.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 9:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We have 3 parakeets that we just got the day after Christmas...a powder blue one named Powder (mine), a yellow one named Tinkerbell (dd's), and a green one named Fluffy (ds's).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• cockatiels and budgie
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I have a great cockatiel right now. He's about 8 years old. I have had a cockatiel since 3rd grade (but my first one died at my mother's house while I was away at college)
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Oh yeah, I had a quaker once before, too... he was my sister's bird that I wound up having to take care of - but he really bonded with me and detested my husband. He'd attack him if he could and we tried to get him to behave but we never could manage. We had to find him a new home. (which we were able to sucessfully do, thankfully) I don't think I'll get such a clingy one-person pet again.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011