If you saw someone close to you drunk, yelling at their 5 yo calling them names, what would you do?

Please don't assume I haven't done anything about this. Just not an easy thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• I would wait until the person was cold sober. Then I would sit her down and ask her if she's ever been yelled at, how did that make her feel, does she like it, doe she think her life has been affected by that. Then I'd explain to her that she is using words to destroy the spirit of her child and that those words are not just spoken and then vanish, never to be heard again. Those words will replay in that little child's mind for the rest of her life unless something or someone happens to help erase them from her memory. I would then tell said person that if I hear her yell at her child like that again, I will be looking into alternative places for the child to live. You can tell her you don't know how much clout you have, but however much that is, that's exactly the amount you will be using to protect this child from her mother. Maybe that will get her attention. If it doesn't., then please do follow through.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would take the 5 yr old out of the situation until the person can sober up and I will talk to them after that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• agree with the first
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 1:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Divert their attention to me so he/she could talk to me about what's bothering them and leave the child alone.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• This is how I would like to think I would handle that type of situation. I have to say "think", because I don't know since I have never been in one.

The 5yr old and I would need to go and "do" something together. Anything to get them out of the situation...Have them help me get something in the kitchen, or have them show me something in their room.. KWIM. Some sort of diversion. Then once the child was out of the situation and calmed down, I would deal with adult who so clearly showed their ass in front of me and everyone else.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• She grabbed my neice once, shook her, and called her a bitch, because she was crying and didn't want to go to bed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• And this wasn't one time either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree with the first answer. Get the child out of the situation and talk tot he parent when they are sober.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree with the first poster and also, get her some help for her drinking.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would remove the child in that situation or stay with the child until the parent sobers up and explain their behavior to them.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2011