How did you start?

How did you start potty training? how long did you take? What methods did you use?

teen_mommy1133

Asked by teen_mommy1133 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ahhhhh, potty training! The good old days, lol. I guess the first thing to remember is that all children potty train in their own time. Some are ready sooner than others and some it seems, will never be ready. But I can promise you, they all do it eventually so don't lose hope! I found the most effective way to potty train my kids was by association. I kept a potty chair in the bathroom and whenever I went, they joined me. If they weren't productive...then no big deal. We just dismissed is with a simple "Oh well, maybe next time!" then followed it up with a hug and a kiss and off we went to do something else. If they were productive, we held a rather animated celebration! Lots of clapping and happy dancing and praises and more often than not a big bye bye wave to the potty contents as we emptied it into the toilet and it swirled it's way down into oblivion. Lol, I can't believe I actually said things like "bye bye poopies!
    anniemom911

Answer by anniemom911 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We started when DD turned 2, but had a few false starts. We finaly figured out that she had no interest in the potty chair, so we bought her a little stool and told her she could use the big girl potty. We let her pick out her own panties too. We made a big deal over any attempt and didn't fuss when she had accidents. I think in our case, pull ups actually delayed it. When I finaly just took the pull ups away, she started running to the potty when she had to go because she didn't want to go in her panties. Good luck! Every kid figures it out at their own pace!
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 3:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Once we decided they were ready, which was around 2, we switched to panites/underware during the day with the the exception of long car rides and at night we used pullups. Then we set down a schedual and tried to stick to it no matter what.

Every 1.5-2 hours I would tell them it was time to potty and take them to the bathroom. They would sit on the potty until they went or 1.5-2 minutes passed. Then give lots of praise. If they went I reset my cell alarm for 2 hours if not, every 15 minutes we tried again. For the most part it worked great. There were only 2 or 3 accidents.

At night we would not give them anything but a sip to drink after 8. Then we would make they potty before going to bed and really wouldnt worry about it since they used pullups. But the first time they woke up with a dry pull up they no longer used them. Again they only had an accident a couple times.

Both were fully trained before they were 3.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 1:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011