Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What does it mean when someone wants to "claim" your child on their taxes?

My husbands parents asked if they could claim our son. What does that mean?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (28)
  • Claim him as a dependent. It's 1000 tax credit. That seems a little strange.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Your husband doesn't do taxes either? You can still do taxes w/Ssi my FIL does it. And that would be fraud if his parents claimed him and you two are the primary caregivers. That's a federal offense, and scamming the system. That's why they take all the good stuff away.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • WOW! I can't believe they would ask that of you!

    Answer by usdragonflies at 2:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Yeah, it's fraud. It's taking money that doesn't belong to them. I would also consider it morally wrong. They may also be forced to prove to the IRS that they are indeed the primary caregiver. They did it to my mom when she was caring for my son when I was 16.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • If they give him half of his support then yeah they can claim him. Honestly it doesn't sound bad to me at all.
    Talk to an accountant to make sure they can actually claim him, but it sounds to me like they might have a shot.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • From the IRS website:
    To claim a child for purposes of the Child Tax Credit, they must either be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister or a descendant of any of these individuals, which includes your grandchild, niece or nephew. An adopted child is always treated as your own child.

    Support Test - In order to claim a child for this credit, the child must not have provided more than half of their own support.

    The child must have lived with you for more than half of 2009. There are some exceptions to the residence test, which can be found in IRS Publication 972, Child Tax Credit.,,id=106182,00.html


    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Exemptions for dependents. You generally can take an exemption for each of your dependents. A dependent is your qualifying child or qualifying relative. You must list the social security number of any dependent for whom you claim an exemption.

    Some people cannot be claimed as your dependent. Generally, you may not claim a married person as a dependent if they file a joint return with their spouse. Also, to claim someone as a dependent, that person must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national or resident of Canada or Mexico for some part of the year. There is an exception to this rule for certain adopted children. See IRS Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information for additional tests to determine who can be claimed as a dependent.,,id=202335,00.html

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Yeah, H & R block is a joke. I have heard of H&R block misinforming people, just because it's a pain to do it the right way. Everyone is responsible for thier own taxes, no matter who does them for them. Do a little reading on the site, and learn a little.
    What Erica posted is directly from the IRS.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • They want to claim him as a dependant. They will get the benefits of increased return from the state and federal. This also means that you cannot claim him.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

  • Sorry, I meant they will get $1000 for it.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011