electric dryers

For anyone with an electric dryer...what brand/model do you have?
And how long does it take to dry a regular load of clothes?

We're probably going to get a new dryer with our tax return and just looking for input. I found one I like but can't really spend much more than $500-$600.

The dryer we have now was given to use by a neighbor when they moved (along with a washer and a bunch of furniture). But I've never had an electric dryer before and it's an older, cheap model (don't remember which brand off hand).

I've been washing half loads of laundry and it takes 2 HOURS to dry them, longer if there are a couple pairs of jeans. That's just wrong. These are large capacity and I can't even wash a full load. If I do I have to split it between 2 dryer loads and it takes 4 hours to dry all the clothes.

I'm not complaining since they were donated to us and it's still better than lugging stuff to the laundromat but it's wasting electricity and it takes forever to do laundry (all day to do 3 loads and there are 7 people in the family).

I've always had gas dryers before but our house is electric only so it has to be electric. My dad's gas dryer can dry an extra large load of clothes in 45-60 minutes depending on how many pairs of jeans there are in there. I could do a full load of jeans in 60 minutes (might be slightly damp in the thicker areas).

So, just looking for a good, solid dryer that won't cost us an arm and leg.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 2:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My dryer is about 10 years old(Maytag) and every few months my husband takes it apart and cleans out all the lint. That seems to help plus we replaced our heating element(not sure if that's really what it's called) about 4 years ago
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 3:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011