what do you do?

do you let kids eat other foods than what you make for meals even though ,knowing they like what you make when they won't eat it? I can't get my kid to try new foods. I don't want her being obeast. she weighs 157 and is 12 year old, but she is tall and husky like her father. I am tall and slender.

diamondsarecool

Asked by diamondsarecool at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• If I fix something that I know she doesn't like, I will make a side dish that I know she does like. She then must take a bite of everything.

I don't make seperate meals.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Let's assume your daughter is 5 ft 11 (there's no way she is at 12, right?) her BMI is then 21.9 putting her in the 85th percentile for 12 y/o girls and making her in the overweight category.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would suggest making one thing she likes, then do a side of something she needs to try. Hopefully this will encourage her to try different foods. My son can be a picky eater, but slowly he is being encouraged to eat new things or atleast give it a try.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Let's say she's a much more age appropriate 5 foot 3 inches tall. Her BMI would then be 27.8 and she would officially be obese.

She needs a pediatrician visit and also an endocrinologist. She might right this moment have diabetes, pre diabetes, fatty liver disease. She needs to be on a weight loss plan ASAP. You're shortening her lifespan every single DAY letting her be that weight. You're killing her. She has no income, no job, no money, no car. She cannot buy the food. Stop buying crap. She's smart, she wont let herself starve to death. She'll eat it eventually, I promise.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• She IS overweight if she is 157 at 12 years old. Unless she is 6'3 she shouldn't be that weight at 12 years old, and even being that tall she's pushing it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• 12 is much too old to still be picky. Meals should be based on vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits. Water should be her only beverage.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Don't provide any foods but what you want her to eat. If there is no junk food in the house, she can't eat it. If she's that heavy, she's definitely taking in more calories than she needs.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• First of all, she was weighed at her school. Secondly, I don't buy crap. Thirdly, she is tall for her age. Her father and I are both tall. Fourthy, the school records states she IS AT RISK FOR OBESITY. It does not say she is obeist. Fifth, it must be foods that is being offered at school. Sixth, Don't degrade my parenting with my kid!!!!.
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We had to buy her smaller size pants because the pants we got her at begining of the school year is now too baggy on her even with a belt. She is losing weight. It doesn't happen overnight. people need to worry about their own kids. I only asked for advice not to be "punished". Are any of you nurses or doctors?
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• She does drink alot of water everyday. she only has enough milk with cereal at home. she can't take the milk out of the food i need to use it with. lol she doesn't drink soda,juices nor coffee hardly any hot teas. I do know she has a small carton of milk for lunch and dinner AT SCHOOL. I'm asking for help. I do buy veggies and fruits she likes. sometimes she don't want to eat them. We don't eat Mcdonalds, Wendy's. etc. please don't lecture me. I don't get WIC nor food stamps. Please do send me some recipes. she don't like onions (cooked or uncooked), no tuna, no hamburger,not fond of pork chops. don't like stuffing. don't like cooked broccoli, califlower, carrots,brussel sprouts,asparacus,sweet potatoes,no beets, no green ,red or yellow peppers. What else can I do??
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011