How do I prepare formula? Do I need to boil water? My baby is 3 weeks and I can no longer breasy feed. I breastfed my older daughter (17 months). Thanks

formula preparation for infant

ericajeang

Asked by ericajeang at 7:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I formula fed my oldest and just used tap water to mix the formula. I also never heated the bottle up. I just didn't want to have the hassle if I wasn't home of trying to find some place to heat it at.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 7:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• with my oldest I just used filtered tap water. With my baby now I use bottle water..because the water were we live now sucks and i won't drink it myself. I also never heated anything up. Jut always used the water at room temp
    allisonsmommy

Answer by allisonsmommy at 7:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I just used bottle water that I just kept out on the counter so it was always room temp....I then just made bottles as needed...no heating...
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 7:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• none of my kids even liked it heated.... I always used bottle of water as well, then just followed the direction on the can...
    mamabear8869

Answer by mamabear8869 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• it says on the back of the formula can how to make it. water should be about 100 degrees b4 its will desolve the formula. make sure to test it b4 giving it to them
    Anonymous

• I run the tap water for as long as it takes to get hot, but not too hot and put it in the bottle with the formula. I have a picky eater, and there are times she wont even take a bottle if it isn't warm. If it is cold water, it can shock their stomachs. The warm is more soothing to them in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I never used tap water for my daughter and still don't. I bought gallon water from the store and kept it on the counter so that it was room temperature and so that I didn't have to heat it up. If I did heat it up I would put the bottle in a glass filled with hot water for a few minutes. (never the microwave)
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I have a 4 month old and i just use regular tap water, she will basically drink it at any temperature so when i am at home she usually gets it warm but when i am out somewhere she will drink it at room temperature.
    angelsmommy2008

Answer by angelsmommy2008 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i would just get a pitcher purifier and use that. my daughter didn't really care if it was room temp, little warm, or a bit chilled. food was food to her lol
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 9:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I know that they say there is no reason to heat bottles, but since your baby is used to warm milk from breast feeding (and mine was too) I have used the nursery water because it has extra flouride. I usually put it on the stove in a pan full of water to heat it up because its a little faster than running the bottle under hot water from the faucet, but you can also buy bottle warmers...and even better, there are bottle warmers that plug into your car so you can heat on the go.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2008