Rolling pin needs help.

I have an old rolling pin (GG-aunt). It has the handles that spin with the shaft the middle of the pin. It doesn't spin really well. Can I put it in the dishwasher? Do I soak it?

Everytime I use it, it pushes the dough across the table rather than roll out the dough.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Never ever put a wodden rolling pin in the dishwasher. Never soak a wooden pin. After use they should be wiped with a damp cloth and dried. Hold the pin by one handle. Spin it with your thumb. If it does not turn the shaft is locked up. You can try squirting a drop or two of 3:1 oil in the shaft and attempt to get it turning. If this doesn't work..the pin is shot and needs to be replaced.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If it isn't spinning very well you can try to put a little oil (veg or olive) to sort of grease up the shaft. As for it not really rolling things out and it pushing things, do you keep it well floured when you are using it? That's usually what I do to make sure stuff doesn't stick and that it rolls well. I hope you get some good suggestions.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Your pin needs oil - NOT WATER. Never put a wooden rolling pin in the dishwasher or soak it. Follow the advice above and you'll be good to go. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Also, if it is just pushing the dough, try lightening up on it a little, hold it loosely in your hands and lightly roll it across the dough. Don't be in such a rush, let the pin do its job!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I don't use a rolling pin; I use a wooden dowel rod

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Lightly roll from the center to the edge, turn the dough around and repeat. Never put it in water. oil it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011