just a little curious..

i'm potty training my son right now and he is doing really good so far goes pee in the potty without a hasle... but it's the pooping that is he doesn't tell me when he has to go poop or sits down after the fact... how long did it take for your child to feel comfortable pooping in the potty during potty training?

Lynnsae

Asked by Lynnsae at 3:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• It took unti lI put some poop into her potty without her seeing and then making a HUGE deal out of her doing it.

Once she realized that it wouldn't hurt and wasn't a big deal, she never had a problem again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I'll give you a bump. My daughter only pooped in the potty for the longest time and kept peeing herself.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My child is doing this too. He is doing great with pee pee everytime but, yeah, it is the poop. So far the poop is 50/50. He poops in his underwear, I take him to the bathroom, and I make him watch me plop the poop from his underwear into the potty. I give him a visual of the poop being in the toilet. IDK Lets hope it sinks in. (((crosses fingers)))
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son isn't quite ready to potty train yet, but my older sister has 3 boys all potty-trained. I know the pooping in the toilet has been the hardest for her to get her boys to do. Her middle son would hold his poop all day long until she put a diaper on him to go to bed, then he would poop. I think he did that for several months.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• 2tinyhineys i've been doing that with my son too... lol he even wants to see it in his undies and i tell him it's not suppose to be in your undies but the toilet... i'm hoping it picks up soon too.
    Lynnsae

Comment by Lynnsae (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• He wants to check out his masterpiece...oh boys are so silly! I wont be worried until he is holding it in. We need some clever ideas, don't we?
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I hate to say it took my 2nd dd awhile. Not really sure how long, (she is 14 now!) But I remember her having no trouble peeing, and would ask for a pull up after lunch and within 1/2 hour she had pooped. I knew it wasn't helping, but with out the pull up she wouldn't go, for days. My 1st dd, was completely trained in 1 week. I just left the little potty on the bathroom floor and told them to use it when they needed to. One night after dinner my younger dd just went and used it, never even told me. From then on she was trained, One thing I do now, is don't make a big deal out of it, if he stops going it is painful. He'll get there, they always do! Good luck.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I heard somewhere that kids think their poop is part of their bodies, so they have a harder time of letting go of it. IDK, but I know that when I put my son's poop in the toilet, I always made a big deal out of telling it "bye-bye", and told him it would come back to visit him later! It always did! LOL Didn't take him very long at all to poop in the toilet, and yes, he did quit waving bye-bye to it by the time he went to school!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i recently potty trained my 3yr ds, getting him to poop in the potty was the hardest. i just kept telling him big boys poop in the potty and when hed poop his underwear i had him watch me put it in the toilet. one night he went in the bathroom and pooped in the potty. we made such a huge deal out of it. ever since hes been going. when your son is ready he will do it. it just takes some time.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I'm having such a hard time.. my son is almost 4 and special needs.. he won't even tell me when he goes.. I get to find out on my own.. YUCK... he goes if I sit him on the potty.. but his bladder and bm just release.. people look at me like I am a bad mother.. I try really I do other than sitting him on the potty every 15 minutes which really who has the time for that is the only way he goes :(
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 4:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011