Guilty asking for help?

I had to ask my mom for money, and I HATE doing that. In the past four years (since I was 18) I've only asked my parents for money a few times... and I feel so guilty every time! Right now, I've been without a job for about three weeks, and my last paycheck will officially run out tomorrow (thanks to bank fees). I don't have credit cards or anything, so I'm going to be 100% broke. I asked for money out of sheer desperation, and I don't even like that!
Does anyone else feel guilty when you've had to ask for help in the past?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• yes even when they tell me if i need anything to ask... i always hate asking it's not me i really don't like to ask.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Yes. It's a pride thing. i was very independent and have worked since I was a teen. I prided myself in being able to fend for myself. I get anxiety and feel horrible, horrible if I ever have to ask for money. I also exhaust as many other options as I can prior.
    oogiesmommy

Answer by oogiesmommy at 4:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I hate to ask anyone for help...anyone PERIOD. I'd rather be sick and tired than to ask for help!!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I always feel guilty when I have to ask for help but when I do need help I put my pride aside. I always pay back what I borrowed as soon as possible.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• consider applying for 1 credit card for these true emergencies....... also consider banking someplace w/ direct deposit advance? if you're not being given grief about the loans and you have good intent to pay them back, ease up on yourself. if you're doing the best you can, then there's no harm in seeking help as needed. we've all done it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I do hate asking mostly because they make me feel like crap for asking. I get guilt tripped, and made to feel an inch tall.

Answer by gemgem at 4:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Everyone gives me grief because they don't think I'm actually TRYING to find a job. In the 3 weeks I've been unemployed, I've applied for about 12 jobs. That sounds pretty good to me!
    I would apply for a credit card, but I have tried and haven't been approved in the past. I don't have a job now, and whenever I do, I don't make enough - I have only ever worked in retail in the past.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Even if you are not eligible for unemployment compensation, you still can take advantage of the training and other services they offer.

There are also great services through Jobcorps:  http://www.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I"ve never asked for help. I don't have parents.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 10:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2011