Narrow Car Seat needed for a 1992 Ford Explorer

We have a 1992 Ford Explorer. We already have two Nautilus 3-in-1 car seats in the back, which gives us a whole 16 inches of width to fit an infant (or convertible) carseat. Most infant carseats are 17.5 inches in width, which is too wide for our space. We do have the option to buy a van with tax money, but we're trying to avoid that if at all possible. In my search I have found two 16.5 wide carseats (Baby Trend Flex Loc and Combi Shuttle 33) and one 14.8 wide carseat. (Combi Coccoro Convertible) Do you ladies know of any other carseats that would fit along with our two toddler seats?

I'm continuing my search right after I post this, but to help that along I hope someone has some suggestions.

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 4:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Travel

• Those are the only 3 I have heard of that are that narrow. Personally I have heard the best reviews on the Baby trend. The Nautilus car seats are great and we have two in the back of our 1994 Ford Explorer and love them, but is there any way you could upgrade one of the kids into a skinnier belt positioning booster and then not have as big of an issue with the car seats fitting?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Though changing out a toddler seat is an option we're trying to avoid that. We love our Nautilis car seats and the kids really enjoy them as well. The infant carseats that we do have are a few years old, so I have no issue upgrading them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Comment by JazzlikeMraz (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• After much research we have finally found a carseat that will work for us. Specifically built for smaller cars this carseat looks like it will be perfect for our compact space.

http://www.target.com/Combi-Coccoro-Convertible-Car-Seat/dp/B001RADXRE#communityReviews

JazzlikeMraz

Comment by JazzlikeMraz (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2011