Anyone work at Sonic - need some insight please...

Our daughter started working there as a car hop two weeks ago. Her first week she was inside, her second week she was out car hopping, after the first hour completely on her own. She came up short last week and the asst. manager told her someone else probably took out some of her orders, but told her she had to pay the missing money out of tips anyway (it was over $40). Is this right?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 4:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hmmm....I was a waitress, granted not at Sonic, at Red Lobster, and we never had to do that. That's strange. Why would someone else take her orders without telling her? Especially if they work on tips?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• sorry, i am no help! both the sonics in our area closed! i miss their onion rings! :(
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 4:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• The idea is that if someone takes out your orders they are supposed to pay you for the order they took out so that when you cash out at the end of the night you come out right. Basically, when they cash out, they pay the register all they owe for the day and the extra they keep as tips. It sounds to me like that would make it easy for someone else to really hijack your stuff.

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If this is their WRITTEN policy, she has no choice. She needs to make sure no one else gets her orders, OR if to keep track of who is getting her orders so she knows who is screwing her over.
    Otherwise she could be fired for being short.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Im a waitress to and never have had to do that. BUT our customers pay when they leave. Now my SIL works at a dinner restaurant and if she comes up short at the end of the night she must pay the difference. I understand it when you have your own bank. But if she doesnt have receipts to prove it then they should not make her pay. Especially if they are aware that another car hop could have taken the orders out. Sounds like their system is a little faulty. Id have her talk to the manager about it. And tell your dd to speak up. If she knew that she may not have brought out a certain order then she needs to inform the manager. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• That makes it very easy for someone to hijack your stuff. It doesn't sound right to me.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• And when I say pay when they leave I mean at a register...not with me. Sometimes customers hand me exact change and I will ring it up at the end of the day. If for some reason I cant find the money they gave me I DO have to pay for it. Its only when someone skips the bill that I wouldnt be responsible. So like I said..have dd talk to management. IF she seems interested and responsible with her position then they will most likely not let this happen again. Shes still new and has a lot to learn about the policies and her other co workers
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I bet the manager hijacked her stuff. He obviously doesn't care about finding out who else took out the orders.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• If she came up short, someone else should have come up long (if they were being honest anyway). I'd quit and find another job. I never had to do anything like that when I casheired at a grocery store - if we were short they looked into why but no one ever had to pay in the difference.
    Anonymous