What would you have done in this situation- old EMT question

True story: Very close friend got hit while working in the middle of the road one day. The person that hit him was actually legally blind and not in good health. He killed our friend on impact. He hit him so hard, he actually left his hair in the windshield. Anyway, this guy that hit and killed my friend did not go to jail and got sicker and sicker. To the point where as EMT's we kept getting called out to his home to help his caretakers pick him up off the floor after he fell out of bed. It was our job, we had to go. But, as a human beings, we did not want to do it. So, what would you have done? Would you have gone on the call and helped this guy, or not because he killed your friend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• You'd go if you want to keep your job and not get sued for ignoring a call. You need to separate personal and professional.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You sing an oath as an EMT so you need to follow through with that, but I would not have done more then I absolutely had to when going on that call.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would help him knowing that my friend would want me to. This is a prob with the gov and this mans drs. Not him. He might have been careless but he also should not have been driving. Im sorry that this happened to you. But this is your job and you sometiems have to suck it up and take the good with the bad. gL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would still go help him. It's my duty as an EMT.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Well two wrongs don't make a right. I think if you ignored the call and the guy ended up dying you'll be feeling hell of a lot worse.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• This is something that happened to me years ago. Not new. We were volunteers, not paid. Everyone did do their jobs, but thinking about it now, NOT AS AN EMT, it makes me feel different.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2011