How to get DS to sleep quicker?

Every night (and for naps) either me or DH has to sit in DS's room (he's 2) until he falls asleep. If we don't, he screams, cries, gets up, cries "mommy, daddy," etc. One of us will sit beside his bed for as long as 2 hours until he falls asleep. If he wakes up during the night, he comes into our room and tries to get in bed with us. Then it's either let him sleep the rest of the night with us, or start all over again, taking him to his room and sitting there. I'm exhausted, cause either way I don't get any sleep (he's very wiggly in his sleep, so he keeps me up when we let him sleep with us). Anyone have the same problem, or advice on how to get him to sleep better?

dougiesmom

Asked by dougiesmom at 12:30 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get into his bed with him. Take a nap wit him till he's asleep then creep out :) doesn't always work
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 1:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Lay down with him....after 2 or 3 minutes, say "I need to tell daddy something...I'll be right back."
    Leave the room and come back in 30 seconds.
    Repeat this several times and each time, stay out a little longer. Eventually, he'll know that you will be coming back and will fall asleep while waiting.
    Good luck.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My aunt had the same problem a dr recomende using childrens dimatap for 2 weeks just before they go to sleep to get them on a sleep pattern so he wont wake up and as for the screaming you have to let him cry if you let him sleep with you or you sleep with him it wont ever stop my aunt learned the hard way her 5 yr old is still in bed with her and her husband now sleeps on the couch. Tough love is the best thing for him
    SabinaG

Answer by SabinaG at 1:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i'm sorry i know this isn't a group post or anything but when did it start becoming ok for doctor's to recommend, prescribe these dimetap, benadryl medicines for kids to go to sleep, i know a lady who does this with her child because the dr said to and i was in shock when she told me
    valerieiveliss

Answer by valerieiveliss at 1:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Ok I totally have to agree that the whole dimatap thing is freakin me out. It is absolutely not healthy to do that to your child for any reason. What I would suggest is what the child neurologist told me to do with my autistic son (they commonly have a really hard time getting sleep regulated) He told me to give him a nightly does of melitonin at the same time every night for at least 3 months. Just to be clear melitonin is a natural extract from bing cherries that is also naturally made by our own brains. Just like seritonin is the "happy" hormone melitonin is the "getting ready to be sleepy" hormone.
    Akherbalmommy

Answer by Akherbalmommy at 5:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Giving it to a child at the same time every night (about 20 to 30 minutes before you want them asleep) and then getting into a regular pattern. (brushing teeth, reading book, snuggling for 10 min. ect.) lets their little brain become accustomed to what is going to happen regularly. After a while their bodies will act on their own and they will get sleepy right on time all by their self! Good luck and I hope it helps. Oh and since hes still young You can buy melitonin in chewable forms that taste like fruit. And a childs dose (for a two to four yr old) is 3 mg s a night!
    Akherbalmommy

Answer by Akherbalmommy at 5:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Oh my goodnes, did I just read right? Medicating a child to get them to sleep??? WTF???? IT IS NOT OK TO DRUG YOUR CHILD TO SLEEP!!! Please, please, do not take that harmful advice! It is truly scary that someone, anyone, doctors included, think it's ok to drug children to sleep. DISGUSTING!
    Anonymous

• i'm with the ladies on NOT medicating the child. and the suggestion of telling the kid you will come isn't good either coz they will just wait for you to come back. i had to get my kid in the crib and sleeping through the night by myself. my hubby was in afghanistan. i did cry it out. man was it heart wrenching but it worked.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 8:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Thanks for all the answers. While we can't do "cry it out" due to DS's asthma, and wouldn't medicate him if we could, I do appreciate that you all put in the time and effort to help me. I guess there is no "easy" way; only a lot of time and effort can fix this!! Thanks! :)
    dougiesmom

Answer by dougiesmom at 7:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2008