I'm Selfish?

My father wants me to name my son after my SO....I wanted to make my SO's name and middle name, because I had my heart set on another name. But my father kept rambling about how it's an honor to have your son named after you and i don't love my SO if I don't pass his name on. Am I really selfish? Am I taking it extra harsh because I'm hormonal? I really want to give my father a piece of my mind....It's 2008 for goodness sake

Joy1Roberts

Asked by Joy1Roberts at 12:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• no that isnt selfish.

its your child name him whatever you want!

tell your dad... "you already got to name your children, let ME name mine."

i had to tell my mom that before she got the hint lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I don't believe in juniors. I'm not trying to bash on anyone who has one, but I think a kid should have their own name. Dedicating his middle name to you SO is a perfect compromise. My sons middle name is the same as the 7 generations of men before him, so I was fine with that. But he has his own first name.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• IT IS AN HONOR THING BUT I SAY USE THE NAME YOU WANT ... THATS WHAT I DID WITH MY FIRST HIS DAD HAD NO PART MY SON IS ELIJAH ANDREW SCOTT AND IS DAD IS JEFFERY WAYNE LOL .. DO WHAT YOU WANT ITS YOUR BABY NOT YOUR DADS
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Whose baby is this?

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Tell your Dad that it's your baby and your decision! Sorry, but he sounds like an ass! "You don't love him," how rude!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i agree with "SamanthaAgain". i'm not fond of jrs either, for the same reason. your kid is a unique individual and should get his own name! but, my husband wanted a kid named after him, so we gave his middle name to our first son.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 12:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You can name your baby whatever you want. My MIL didn't like the names I picked for my twins, but she got used to it.

Are you sure your dad isn't upset about something else? Maybe it bothers him that the baby doesn't have SO's name because it might appear as though he doesn't have a father, or he is afraid that the father won't be as involved if the baby doesn't have his name. It sounds like HE is making too much out of it...I would ask him if there are other reasons so you can assure him that he doesn't have to worry.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• its your kid name your abby what you want. My mom just didnt like the name for my daughter so we made a compramise if your dad cant do that then its unfortunate but you have the final say so
    SabinaG

Answer by SabinaG at 1:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• People didn't like what I named my son - too bad not your child. Don't go around trying to please everyone. At the end of the day it is your child and you have to call him by whatever name you chose.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 1:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2008