gay/lesbian child and their friends.

Im taking this ? from a sleepover ? I read. But im changing it a bit...lol What do you do as far as sleepovers go when your child is gay/lesbian? I know they arent going to try to do every same sex friend but how do you know what you can trust? I know that as a straight teen I couldnt have guy friends stay over even though they were JUST friends. Is this any diff??

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well.... I guess it depends I wouldn't let my straight kids have sleep overs with the opposite sex, friends or not. Now if they were gay or lesbian and I know the person is only a friend then I would allow it but if they were dating I wouldn't allow it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think friends are friends.. I have had several lesbian friends, they were not interested in me other than friendship. I know gay males also have just friends too. But I agree; how do you tell what is friend and which one is "lover"... LOL...

Then again, most teens don't come out to their parents or friends until later..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• at least they can't get pregnant.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• speaking as a gay mom I would just make them sleep in different rooms.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• well when i was a teenager i was allowed to have my gay male friends sleep over. they obviously weren't gonna do anything. i'm bisexual and i was allowed to sleep over my girlfriend's house when i was 16/17. if they're just friends they aren't gonna do anything. i always thought the no boys sleeping over applied to them taking advantage
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I agree with bhoward. My mom allowed my bf at the time to sleep on our couch a few times. And that's all it was, sleeping on the couch.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Oh, my gay BF from school did not have any male friends.. He was one of the "girls" and stayed the night all the time.. My mom didnt have a problem with it, she knew he was gay and was my best friend. The other mom excepted him for the way he was and had no issues with him over all the time either..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think you would probably know if the child spending the night is also gay right? If your child tells you they are gay or lesbian then I would think theyd have an open enough relationship to tell you who they are into so you would know who could stay over and who could not. I know with my dd she told me she knew lesbiansat her school that were out of the closet. She was friends with one girl who was bisexual and made a pass at her at a slumber party and she called home right away and she came home.

I would not allow lesbians at sleep overs at my home and NOT because they were lesbians, but because *I* didnt know who they were interested in and didnt want to inadvertently have two girls over making out or whatever and then get a call from one of their moms later blaming me for goings on I didnt know about. Teens can be sneaky.

Answer by gemgem at 5:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thanks ladies!! But what if a close friend of your child that always stayed over was "with" your child. Your son or daughter might come out of the closet but might feel strange to admit that their friend is more than that. I guess it really just goes with trust. You need to trust that your child friend is just a friend. But I still feel that if my child was gay...their friends would sleep in another room. Just as if my straight childs friend of the opp sex would also stay in a sep room
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011