did i ask too little?

I recently agreed to look after 2kids from 6:30am till 5pm mon-fri. There's a 7yr old who goes to school by 8am and a 4yr old who I'll have all day. Its a single mom working in a call centre. I asked for $75 for 1 kid or $120 for both. I am a qualified teacher and have Years of childcare exp. I am doing it cos I wanna help her out but do u think she's taking advantage? Some nights she may be as late as 6pm and I don't charge overtime. Should I? I feel bad for her. Oh I dunno!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Money & Work

• Business is business, sorry. What was she doing before for child care? Why isn't she doing that now?

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• She was down in LA and was a sahm she ran away from an abusive dh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I hate to say it, but, if you give her an inch, how do you know she won't take a mile. We have two things, our name and our time. Both should be respected.

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If you are doing it to help then you shouldnt think of it as you are not getting enough money I dont think but if you feel she is taking advantage talk to her about it other wise you will only get upset and things could get ugly, it did for me when I was helping my aunt with her 4 kids all under 4 and I was only getting 2oo a week for 10 to 12 hour days
    SabinaG

Answer by SabinaG at 12:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Is she working until 6 when she is late? If so, then I think it is okay. She should call you. Even though you are helping her out because you feel for her, she shouldn't take advantage.
    You are giving her a good deal also.
    emptynestmom456

Answer by emptynestmom456 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think your $120 a week is fair.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 5:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would have definitely asked for at least $3/hr for each hour you had them. Even that is far below what she would be paying anywhere else. If you are doing it as a favor and not because you need the money, I wouldn't bring it up, but I think even at $3/hr you're giving her a steal.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I paid $120 for 2 kids full time. It was in exchange not claiming child care (she did it under the table) and I turned the eye that she was well over state maximum.

Thank goodness my kids are in school now because daycare is to pricey. Be careful about going to high because I think the daycares are about to start feeling the economy squeeze. I truely think we may see the days of 1 income families returning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I did want to add you should set hours in stone and charge overtime. I was respectful in that I only was gone 8:30 hours (needed travel back and fourth to work). After that she had a price but I can't remember what maybe 3-5 would be fair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I don't think shes taking advantage, I think she's doing the best she can. If she's working that extra hour then just go with it, she could very easily live off the state, sit on her butt and do nothing - then we would be paying for her. If she's going to the bar or visiting friends or something in that hour I think you need to tell her that she needs to pick the kids up by 5 because you have things to do.
    If everyone was more like you and offered to help those in need this world would be a better place. Don't listen to those who say she's taking advantage, you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart. Remember good or bad Karma is always your reward.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008